Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I screwed up and got scammed...I think.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SearcySharon

SearcySharon

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

I saw some good reviews for ReImage Software and ASAP Tech Help in a video on the big PC News Magazine...or one of them that I am familiar with but cant remember the name.  I clicked on a link and because PC "whatever" recommended it and said it was the new thing...Real Time Protection...I fell for it.  When I called the support line a smooth operating person said something to the effect that "do I have your permission to log onto your computer and see if you have malware etc."  I said yes (hey PC "whatever" said they were wonderful...and he said he found all kinds of issues with my computer...all kinds of malware, viruses, trojans (I did have a popup recently that said a file called monitor.exe was a trojan...a couple weeks previous.  Anyway I bought their software for RealTime protection for $199 and then he said "do you have a Staples or somewhere where you live that you could take your computer to and have it repaired?  I said yes...we have  Staples...then (here's where he smoozed me) "Well Staples will fix it for you..for alot of money and they will have your computer for a week or more...we can fix it for you remotely for $299.  

Hey guys,  I am old...70 to be exact and on a fixed income but I fell for it and paid $499 for something they have not delivered.  They did download their software ReImage to my computer and ran a thing saying they had run it but still had some issues thus they would need access to continue the work.  For a week they would log on and at the most 20 minutes later log off without any work being done. Most of the time they were only logged on a few seconds and that was after I called and wanted them to tell me what work was being done.

I went to control panel and removed their program...but what I need to know is  ... can someone here tell me how to make sure I have removed everything they downloaded to my computer.  When I realized how at risk my information was I went and changed all my passwords to financial info and passwords to other sites I visit and have been monitoring those sites to make sure everything is ok...so far so good.

Can someone tell me how to make sure all their CRAP is off my computer.  I am trying to figure out how to go after them for a refund but on their FB page a couple people have been scammed like me and say they refuse to give a refund.  I have been barred by their site (contact is overloaded...what a load) and my emails cannot be sent.  They know my phone number and know when I call and for the first few times I called them...they responded...but now they wont respond.

Thats not your problem ...I know  I just need help making sure all their CRAP is off my computer.  So, what now?  And thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 13 December 2014 - 04:56 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Oh, before AND after I was scammed by them, I ran the free Trend Micro online virus scan and both times it said they found no problems.  Thanks!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Oh my....you did get sucked in to a big scam.

Best you can do at this point is protest the charges to your credit card. Hopefully, the disputed charges will be credited back to you.

I'm sure you will be just one of many that have disputed the charges. You do have a good chance of getting your money back. Don't

contact the scammers....the credit card company is your best and only hope of recovery.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Thanks!  I have decided to do that!

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Once you protest the charges as per buddy215, we are more than willing to help you.

Remember that if it is a good site with decent people, we do all of this for free (sometimes you can tip them $5 for helping) They expect no pay, and will usually fix all of your problems.

While you are waiting, I would stay off general internet programs, unless needed.

And rest assured that you are not the first, and will not be the last ..................

Thank You -

#6 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thank you!  I have contacted the credit card company and am waiting for a reply.  And, I will curtail my surfing!

Edited by SearcySharon, 13 December 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

If the scammers have your phone number they may attempt to call you. DO NOT speak to anyone claiming to

be from Microsoft or give any credit card info to anyone unless you initiated the contact. It will just be another scammer.

Never give any credit card info or bank info to anyone you receive an email from. No legitimate business or

government authority will ask you to do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

Thanks.   I already know that...I work at the employment office and we tell job seekers that all the time.  I clicked on a link to the ReImage info from the well known PC magazine page...after I watched the video of the host being interviewed about it.  I know I screwed up and assure you it certainly will never happen again. Thats for sure.  I don't answer my phone unless I know who is calling...I despise telemarketers.I feel like an idiot for letting myself be scammed when I warn people about it all the time!  Thanks for the warning though!

#9 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

Was it Reimage who got you? I fell for one of those once and got my money back from Discover card.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

I would also contact a consumer organization to help me get my money back. Unfortunately, I can't recommend one, as I don't live in the USA.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yes, it was reimage.  I am going to call the Attorney General's office in my state and see if they have recommendations.  The current AG   hates internet thieves!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

Reporting Fraud and Scams:

Reporting Phone Fraud and Scams:

Reporting Internet Fraud and Identity Theft:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thank you very much!  I filed a complaint of internet scam with the Internet Crime Center (IC3).  I have copy and pasted your post into a folder for future use.  Very helpful!.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 SearcySharon

SearcySharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

OK, I filed a complaint with the FBI consumer fraud division....haven't heard from them yet plus I contacted my credit card company and have had two emails saying they will do their best to resolve the issue and get my money back.

Now...my computer is running so slow, freezing and generally screwed up.  Can someone on here please help me.  I downloaded Speccy .and got info on my computer...so what else do I need to do?

Thanks!

Sharon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users