Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not Genuine Window?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Supersox

Supersox

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

I have been receiving a message recently saying my copy of windows is not genuine.  I bought it directly from Dell a few years ago and this problem just recently stated happening.

The associated code is 0x8004fe21.  Dell has been less than helpful, despite me having purchased the full warranty and them saying that I would be covered if I have any problems with the PC.  Other issues I've been having are my laptop randomly shutting off, but this is probably do to the huge motherboard flexing a little...another thing I've been trying to get Dell to fix properly for over 6 months.

Anyways...the issue is the 0x8004fe21 windows not genuine...any help would be appreciated!  Let me know what info you need and how to get it.

~Supersox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Check the report for the 0x8004FE21 validation code error. If, under the "file scan data" header, there is a "file mismatch" error, try running sfc /scannow from the command line.

If it's not a corrupt system file, try calling Microsoft and re-activing over the phone. At the Start menu, type slui.exe 4 and press enter. Enter the country you live in, and select the Phone Activation option. Call the number listed.

If that doesn't resolve it, it may be malware. Run a full scan and make sure your system isn't infected.

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

I ran in to that problem once and it turned out to be because I had replaced my HDD and when Windows tried to validate it thought it was on a different computer. A call to microsoft took care of the issue.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

A change of hard drive should not impact PA...unless the replacement drive reflects a Windows install from another system/motherboard.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users