Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you recommend for new Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cońch

Cońch

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

I have a brand new Windows 8.1 machine; just turned it on. What does Bleeping Computer recommend I download for:

1) Antivirus

2) Anti-Malware (used to use Malwarebytes)

3) Firewall - not sure additional is needed with Windows 8.1

4) Anything else I should do with this machine? Already fixed it so I see classic style desktop instead of the 8.1 screen (don't have touch screen monitor) because I'm a creature of habit. 

Thank you,

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

If you're wanting a free antivirus and firewall then the Windows Defender that comes already on Windows 8.1 should be sufficient. I use the paid version of Commodo for antivirus and firewall. I also use malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, Malwarebytes Anto-Keylogger and the AdBlock Plus add-on. This combo has worked well for me.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 13 December 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Quoting quietman7's response from another thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517402/which-antivirus-and-malware-programs-should-i-use-together/?p=3232635)

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

For more specific information to consider, please read:

#4 Vladimir_Koskov

Vladimir_Koskov

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hey Eric,

I agree with BC Advisor: what you choose is really personal preference and these items tend to change over time.

1. I would turn off Windows Defender and install free or paid AVG antivirus.

2. I would get free or paid malwarebytes malware scanning software.  The latest version scans quickly in about 10 minutes to determine if you have malware on the machine.

3.  I would use adwcleaner or junkwareremover.

4.  Learn to make an image and restore and image from external drive.  If malwarebytes shows you been hit by malware you can reinstall your image and not half to format your machine ever.

5.  Install some of your basic software from ninite.com.  Ninite lets you install items without worrying about tool bars being installed.

6.  Decide if you need to use WOT (web of trust) or Adguard.

7.  Decide if you want to use ccleaner or wisecare365.

8.  I would say try using IE and Bing instead of google and chrome... you might like it.  Help Setting up IE here:  https://www.winhelp.us/ :)

9.  Example text editors I like: write monkey, notepad++, Microsoft free office on the web at www.office.com.

10.  In the end use what you like and donate to software you really like so they keep improving it!  :)

Vlady

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

Antivirus: download either Avast(free) or AVG(free) or the free product from bit defender

Antimalware: choose from either malwarebytes free (no realtime element), the paid version of malwarebytes (with realtime protection) or emsisoft anti-malware

Firewall: one is built into windows 8 and 8.1. leave it in place and running, the windows firewall should be good enouh

Anything else:

turn on UAC,

use firefox or chrome NOT internet explorer,

uninstall Java,

ensure flash is kept up to date,

update windows regularly (set it to "check automatically but let you choose when to download" then make sure to check for and install updates every tuesday and wednesday, give it a few hours from first release of an update to see if anyone has reported problems with it),

use an adblocker (like adblock plus for firefox) in your browser,

use a script blocker (like noscript for firefox) in your browser,

don't download programs unless you really need to,

if you do download programs be very careful with them,

ensure windows file explorer is set to "show file extensions for known file types" under "folder options",

don't open exe files which you don't expect to see,

if a download is supposed to be an image, video, zip archive or audio file and has two extensions (the second being exe or scr) then it is (in almost all cases) a virus don't open it,

Scan any file you download with both your antivirus and with your antimalware program before opening it

never open an email attachment unless you know who it is from AND were expecting it

If an attachment is a .exe or .scr file NEVER open it even if the sender is trustworthy and the email is expected

Before visiting sites you have never heard of check what web of trust says about them

Uninstall bloatware immediately

Set up program and file type defaults so that you never have to use the metro interface

Backup your personal files regularly to several non-synced locations (usb drives which you eject and put in a safe after writing to and cloud storage such as within your email account)

When the system is brand new make a system image, there is a utility built into windows 8 to do this i think it is still there on window 8.1

As soon as you have finished setting up the system and installing your favourite programs (only those you have used before from publishers you trust) make another system image

Edited by rp88, 13 December 2014 - 05:25 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Why not use Windows Defender on Windows 8 which integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection? Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

* Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs
* Windows 8: new and improved security features
* Windows 8 Security: Defender Antivirus
* Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen

Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.

If you want to use another anti-virus it is recommended to disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.

I also recommend using the following:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

One thing that others have already mentioned, and needs to be stressed even further is the importance of keeping regular backups of your data. Data backup is the only guaranteed method to prevent file corruption against all types of data loss including malware attacks.

Windows 8.1 itself comes with backup features. But you can also use a third party program that can backup on cloud storage like, Iperius backup, Mozy Backup, Comodo Backup, CrashPlan (it is not free).

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

One thing that others have already mentioned, and needs to be stressed even further is the importance of keeping regular backups of your data. Data backup is the only guaranteed method to prevent file corruption against all types of data loss including malware attacks.

+1

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

The widespread emergence of crypto malware (ransomware) has brought attention to the importance of backing up all data on a regular basis. The only reliable way to effectively protect your data and limit the loss with this type of infection is user education and to have an effective backup strategy. A backup strategy is not only effective against ransomware and other harmful malware but also helps with catastrophic scenarios like hard disk failure, power failure and power surges which can damage internal hardware components. In some cases, the system can be rendered unbootable and you may not have access to the computer to back up any data. A computer's hard drive will not last forever and at some point its going to fail and eventually need replacing. Hard disk failure can occur suddenly without warning or it could occur gradually due to failing areas of the disc requiring repeated read attempts before successful access or as a result of bad clusters accumulating over time to the point the drive becomes unusable.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

too many programs is overkill, my opinion !

myself I use windows defender and paid version of malwarebytes ,issues are rare .actually cant remember the last one .

be  careful what you download and where its from , ,don't open email attachments if you never asked to have them sent to you , and the list goes on and on .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

Not the ones I recommend. In combination, they provide maximum protect and fill gaps not covered by others.

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

Windows 8.1 itself comes with backup features. But you can also use a third party program that can backup on cloud storage like, Iperius backup, Mozy Backup, Comodo Backup, CrashPlan (it is not free).

+1

Backup is the most important thing you can do. And make sure that restoring works.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Not the ones I recommend. In combination, they provide maximum protect and fill gaps not covered by others.

not knocking your list of programs ,used some of them myself over the years actually ,it was just an opinion .

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

not knocking your list of programs ,used some of them myself over the years actually ,it was just an opinion .

Gotcha on that. I agree some folks use overkill on security....multiple anti-virus programs running together is a prime example.

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Gotcha on that. I agree some folks use overkill on security....multiple anti-virus programs running together is a prime example.

for sure ,and your list contained a program I always install on my computer,and friends and families computer, but forgot all about it in recent years ,Spwareblaster ,thank you

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

You're welcome.