Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Disk Activity Almost 100% All the Time

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wonderbread24


  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

My experience level with computers is pretty high, I can fix just about any that comes my way. I can remove just about any virus that comes my way but for the past 3 days I've been working with a computer that has completely stumped me to the point where I've lost several hours of sleep because I can't figure out WTF is causing it.


To start off, I had an ASUS G51VX laptop dropped off for wifi issues. After a quick fix to the wifi I notice immediately after opening a browser they had spyware and adware issues. So I started my thing, Malwarebytes, adwcleaner, JRT, Combofix, Auslogics Boost Speed. After a clean state I started windows update and this is where I started to notice something was really wrong. This laptop has 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the language packs were in the first set of updates. It took 16 hours to install all 22 of the language packs. After a restart from that set of updates another round of updates. I can't recall the amount but I let it run through the night and when I woke up, still installing.


After suspecting that something else was wrong I took a look at the HDD, SMART errors. The owner of the laptop agreed to a new HDD, I upgraded them to WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM from a 320 Seagate. I assumed after I cloned the old drive to the new one everything would be hunky dory, WRONG. It got worse. Windows update would no longer work saying that the update service wasn't running. Long story short on that one, I had to update the Intel Rapid Storage drivers to get that to work. But I didn't discover that one till I broke windows and had to re-clone the drive again.


Now on to the current issue. I've defragged and optimized the HDD using the defrag tool in Auslogics Boost Speed and removed startup items but the startup is ungodly slow, 20+ minutes to go from login screen to usable desktop. After I can open taskmanger to open the resource monitor it takes another 45 minutes to open. But once I finally got it open svchost.exe (netsvcs) was taking up about 90% of the entries under disk activity. This is after the OS has been booted for an hour and a half, I haven't see the HDD activity light turn off once.


What can I do at this point, I'm at a loss as to what this is and I would love any help I can get to make it work without having to reload windows. Please let me know what I need to provide.


thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 hamluis



  • Moderator
  • 56,565 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

Well...sounds to me as whatever you are using to install Win 7...may be the problem.


Or...some other hardware item other than the replaced hard drive.


IMO, cloning a problematical hard drive...to a good hard drive...is likely not to produce a relieable, useful Windows install.  Garbage in, garbage out.


I don't know much about a damaged NTFS, other than to say that cloning it does not make it a better file system.


You have a number of possibilities...including the unspoken one, malware...a clean install is the way that I would narrow the suspects.



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users