Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps prompting me :(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cutter0557

cutter0557

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:05 AM

I have recently removed a bunch of maleware and adware from a labtop I recently obtained from my Grandmother's passing.  The computer works fine now except for one small issue I can not seem to fix.  Every two or three minutes the computer prompts me for a missing DLL file that I'm sure was from some of the maleware that was removed.  Here's the error message:  There was a problem starting C:\Users\BETTYK~1\AppData\ARCADE~1\AgHelp.dll  The specified module could not be found.   I believe it was from the removal of ArcadeGiant but I'm not nearly as knowledgable as some of the people on this forum.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have removed some things from the registry but haven't messed with it greatly because of the fact that I don't know a lot about registry editing. So again thanks for any help.

-cutter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Download Autoruns and do a search for aghelp.dll and remove it by highlighting the entry and clicking the read X in the menu bar.

#3 cutter0557

cutter0557
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:37 AM

I resolved the problem by doing a clean boot and stripping the remaining pictures off the drive onto a different administrator account I created.  I deleted the old account and it fixed the problem.  Now all is peachy.  Thanks anyways.

Edited by cutter0557, 13 December 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#4 cutter0557

cutter0557
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks I have gathered many good programs from this forum.. very useful.. Autoruns will be added to the collection :) Combofix is a hell of a program..  I learn more about this stuff everyday.  Thanks for the welcome my dad recommended me to this forum said ya'll know your stuff so appreciate the response I look forward to contributing what I can, if I can.  Not much of a debugger or programmer but I know enough that I haven't had a virus on this computer in 13 years.  Google is a wonderful tool :)  Thanks again!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

Pertinent Info Re ComboFix

Louis

#6 cutter0557

cutter0557
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thank you for the article louis I could tell by taking a look at it, it was not intended for amature's I have not used it yet nor will I unless instructed how to do so.  Thanks again.

#7 cutter0557

cutter0557
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

I still don't trust myself to properly interpert Hijackthis logs and because of that fact I often post on forums such as these to let someone take a look at them before I remove anything from the computer.  Always nice to have a professional take a look at these kinds of things before jumping head first into them.  I do what I can but if I'm not sure I always ask first, good little piece of advice my father instilled in me.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

:thumbup2: , if only everyone were willing to learn from the mistakes of others...happy computing :).

Louis

#9 BigDaddyBB

BigDaddyBB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

I had this problem as well after removing ArcadeGiant.  I found that it had installed a scheduled update that was calling Aghelp.dll When I removed the scheduled update, the popup error did not return

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users