Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install windows 98SE

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 benjermin96

benjermin96

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:02 AM

I have an old toshiba satellite pro 430cds.

I have successfully created a boot disk, using a windows 98 emulator on my windows 7 laptop.

I have a windows 98SE cd, which I burned myself.

I start the computer, and it gives me the option to boot with CD rom support, or not. I select boot with cd rom support, and it seems to go smoothly until one of the lines read: ERROR   PCI READ CONFIGURATION FAILURE.

Then, it says something like "starting your computer" and brings me to the command prompt at A: .

I type D:. and then dir. However, SETUP.EXE is NOT visible, and neither is the win98 folder. But when I put the same CD in my computer, with win7, I can see SETUP.EXE and WIN98, as well as many other files not visible in command prompt on the older machine.

What step can I take now?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

If I remember correctly, when booting from the floppy, a ram drive is created which takes over the D: drive letter and moves your cd drive letter back one to E: Try using E: or F:, etc for the cd drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the info!

I typed E:, and it switches the drive letter to E on the the command prompt line.

But, when I type dir or setup, it says failed to read drive.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

http://web1.toshiba.ca/support/isg/tsb/en/view.asp?docid=TSB000484 This webpage from Toshiba describes the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files you would need to run that laptop. Perhaps if you edit the ones on the floppy to contain those commands it might work. I think the pertinent command here is LH C:\MSCDEX /D:TOSCD001 /M:10. If you do edit those two files, you would of course leave out the number preceding each line.

Did you try F: and G: etc?

Can you tell us where you got this boot disk? What does it contain? If it contains FDisk, from the A:\> prompt run FDisk /status to see how the drive letters are assigned. These will only be hard drive letters, so the next available letter should be the cd drive.

A little research shows that this was a common problem with that particular laptop. If you boot from the floppy, assuming this hard drive is partitioned and formatted, you can run the command SYS C:. This will make the hard drive bootable. Not sure if your cd drive will become available then.

Ideally, you could copy the Win 98 .cab files to the hard drive and run setup from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

The config.sys on the laptop and the one on that webpage aren't similar. Should I delete every line and re type it the way it is on the webpage?

I tried SYS C:.

E: still not availible.

F: and G:, arent recognized as drives

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

Can you tell us where you got this boot disk? What does it contain? If it contains FDisk, from the A:\> prompt run FDisk /status to see how the drive letters are assigned. These will only be hard drive letters, so the next available letter should be the cd drive.

A little research shows that this was a common problem with that particular laptop. If you boot from the floppy, assuming this hard drive is partitioned and formatted, you can run the command SYS C:. This will make the hard drive bootable. Not sure if your cd drive will become available then.

Ideally, you could copy the Win 98 .cab files to the hard drive and run setup from there.

Did you try any of that? Its important you give me the info I'm looking for so that I can help.

Its not just the Config.sys, but also Autoexec.bat that I suggested you try on the boot floppy. You don't need to retype them, you can just copy and paste them into seperate notepad files and when you do that, go to File then Save as and in the box that opens change Save as type: to all files and then Save with the appropriate name. You would then copy the current ones off the floppy and replace them with the ones you made. Make sure you keep the current ones.

Also, what happened when you did Sys C:? If that worked, the laptop should have booted to a C:\>  without the floppy.

#7 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

I'm very sorry, I'm a newb to this. 

I got the boot disc from allbootdisk.com

I can't open the config file with notepad.

How would I copy the windows cab files, if I can't access the CD their stored on?

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

Don't like the look of that website at all. I hope you didn't pay for it.

You can get a Win 98 boot disk for free from bootdisk.com. They've been around for years and have good reliable stuff. You can download a boot disk there. They also have info on getting a cd-rom working in Dos.

http://bootdisk.com/readme.htm#cdromdos

As far as opening the config.sys file, you don't need to. You would create a new one to replace the current one using the instructions above. You also need to create the autoexec.bat.

As far as copying the .cab files to the hard drive, you would need to remove it from the laptop and put it in another pc as a slave drive and copy them there. Lets not go there though, its much more complicated than creating the bootdisk.com boot disk and getting the cd-rom bootdisk.

From the link above:

In other words use the bootdisk you need that matches the OS you want to install ie win95/win98. Setup the hard drive first, do a sys c:, then put the special disk in and reboot and it will do the rest of the work for you.

Did you do the sys C: and did it boot from the hard drive?

Edited by Leurgy, 14 December 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

I believe OP meant allbootdisks.com, not allbootdisk.com. I have used iso's from here and the site is okay. All iso's and disk images are free.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

I have been experimenting with Windows 98 and the install. My 98SE install disk is bootable. If you boot your Windows 98 install disk in the Windows 7 computer, does the install menu appear? How did you create the floppy disk with the emulator. What did you use for a floppy drive? If your Windows 98 install disk boots then we can try a boot manager but if not I will have to come up with something else. But, we have to make a bootable floppy. Do you have spare floppy disks?

#11 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have a USB floppy drive for my Windows 7. I used the virtual machine to create a working boot disk on an actual floppy disk. The CD supposedly is bootable as well, but the problem, I think, is that the old laptop is missing a driver for the CD drive. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

Okay, I would do the following. First download plop boot manager.

http://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.14.zip

Unzip to get this file.

plpbt.img

Download Rawwrite for Windows.   Run it and hopefully Rawwrite will see the USB floppy drive in the dropdown box. Select the plpbt.img file you unzipped. If not, then we will have to do it another way.

Boot the floppy in your old computer. A boot screen should appear listing boot devices. Put the install CD in your optical drive. Select CD rom in the Plop boot manager and then press Enter. The Windows 98 install disk should boot up. Remove the floppy disk.

bootmngr5_1.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 December 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#13 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

John, I followed your instructions and upon booting, the screen displays a green box with lines. No text or anything like your picture.

However, MS DOS seems to be successfully installed. kinda.  

As long as I keep the external floppy drive with the MS DOS 6.22 boot disk connected to the computer, I can remove the disk after boot and replace it with an old MS DOS game and I can play it just fine. But if the boot disk is not connected, then I get this error: Non system disk. replace disk and press any key. 

So, I copied the contents of the boot disk to drive C, and changed the boot sequence to HDD > FDD, with no luck so I switched the boot sequence back to FDD > HDD. 

How can I make MS DOS boot successfully from HDD?

If MS DOS is installed, would it be easier to install windows 98?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Are you trying to play old dos games. I think you should install Windows 98 as I believe it will run dos games depending on how old they are. Does the Windows 98SE Install CD boot using Plop?

In order to play dos games only you need the full install package of DOS, not just the boot disk.

#15 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yes, all I really want is to run DOS programs, which I can do now after installing MS DOS 6.22. I installed it with 3 floppy discs. I don't understand what's wrong, why won't it boot dos from the hard drive instead of the floppy drive. 

And no, the win98se cd will not boot at all, even with plop. Plop doesn't seem to be working correctly, it just shows green lines on the screen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users