Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EMERGENCY! I think I broke my computer :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys! I know this is the best place to go to when something like this happens... WORST night ever! Anyway, I was replacing some case fans and that failed miserably. I needed to replace the back and side one, but the connection types were different and seemed impossible to work with so I took some pics and was going to come here for help, but that's nothing now. After failing at that I went to check the CPU out because my temps. were going up to the high 80's where as the AMD site said it's max was 60. And this is Celsius btw. So I remembered doing this before, after all I took a Hardware class in college years ago. Switch the lever.. Take off the heatsinck, make sure thinks are seated right and check the thermal paste... well when I tugged on the heatsink I think way too much came off. NOT what I remembered. (I think I added paste to this CPU a couple years ago) Anyway, it looked like my CPU was glued to the bottom of the heatsink or something?? I'm not sure.. here is a picture..

Attached File  20141212_201842.jpg   91.43KB   1 downloads

Never mind all the pictures and extra information here. Read next post :(

Edited by Slave2Society7, 12 December 2014 - 11:52 PM.

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

OMG I just got a new graphics card, new game, new fans for my birthday now it's all useless. I realized I crushed my cpu trying to put it back in :( It seems GLUED to the heatsink! Sooo disappointed. Anyway, just while gone I replaced my CPU with another from a broken computer and it's just a Phenom 9500 or something like that. Guess I need to send my birthday and Christmas gifts back.. A new game and new graphics card and replace my CPU .... Anyone know of a good cpu that would go with my motherboard and run most newer games, but still be on the cheap side? I should move this to the upgrade forum maybe.. Any advice is appreciated...

Windows 7 64-bit

6GB of ram (I was going to ask for an upgrade to 8GB until I thought about the card)

CPU: WAS A.. AMD Phenom II X4 940 3Ghz  (Socket AM2+)

MB: MSI model: MS-7374 nForce 750a SLI (I'm actually not sure, but I think I might be PCI Express 16x)

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850 WAS getting upgraded

EDIT: I took an old CPU from a broken computer and placed that with the heatsink it was with and in ten min. I could smell it burning and had to shut down. I just wanted to see if I could at least access my computer. The older CPU is a Phenom 9500 I believe, I'll check it again in a bit. But could it be a compatibility issue or something? :angry:

Yet another edit: I booted up the computer again and ran CPUID HW Monitor to read the temps and saw that the CPU was reporting low temps and was fine. Then I checked my Motherboard temps where there are usually two.. a kinda high one and a low one. But NOW there is a 3rd one and it was over 120 degrees Celsius!! So what does that mean? Did I ruin something else?? 

Edited by Slave2Society7, 13 December 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:34 AM

If you applied some heat to the CPU and heatsink with it off, you could loosen the bond between the thermal paste and the bottom of the heatsink to get it off. It is possible that you applied too much thermal paste in the first place (only a pea-sized amount is required). As for the Phenom 9500, it may be already dead, which caused it to smoke and burn, I wouldn't suggest putting it back in. This may also have attributed to the high temperature issue you've been getting. 

Providing you haven't chucked that CPU away, I would suggest trying to get the CPU off by applying heat with a hairdryer.

mYIGVc5.png

#4 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hah decided to check on here one more time before bed, thanks for your reply. I actually just got my CPU off of the heatsink, but like I said there are several pins bent and lots of them are pretty bad. And without a jewelers kit and a surgeons hand, it would be impossible to straighten them all. As far as the old Phenom 9500 do you mean even though windows booted up and everything it could still be dead? After that first hot experience I have booted it again and that's when I saw a NEW temperature slot  on the monitor for my motherboard and it was skyrocketing and it read the cpu as being cool. So now I'm wondering if I ruined my MB or something!! But it's weird that there is a 3rd temp when there were always only the two. So now I'm not sure if it IS the cpu overheating. but I don't see what else could have changed.

BTW I agree, I'm sure the CPU being stuck like that was most likely the problem to begin with it's hot temps.

Thanks again for your reply and quick response!

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Ahh, if it booted in then the CPU must be OK, but then I'm not quite sure. Can you confirm none of the thermal paste was outside the CPU socket or inside the socket itself? Temperature slots normally suggest the number of cores that the CPU has, and the 9500 is quad-core (four cores). May I ask what temperature application you're using?

On the subject of bent pins, yes it would be very unlikely to get that working properly unfortunately. 

EDIT: Could you quickly take a screenshot as well, so I could have a look?

Edited by Ezzah, 13 December 2014 - 01:14 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

I can't 100% confirm that none of the thermal paste was outside the CPU socket or inside the socket, but to the naked eye there wasn't any and I blew some duster across it. Gee I hope nothing is in any of those sockets though. I might just take a closer look with a magnifying glass. I was using the program CPUID Hardware Monitor and it did show 4 temperatures under the CPU section and they were all in the 40's which is good. The weird thing is under the MSI section which is for my MSI motherboard and that's where there was a very high temp., but it's always showed two temperatures there in the past, not 3. So I don't know why the heck it's added a third. Unfortunately I can't provide a screenshot at the time because it's all cooling down at the moment and I'm exhausted and bummed out, so I'm probably going to pass out now and get back at it in the morning. Unfortunately this all started so long ago when I was just attempting to install two new fans and even that failed as I think I mentioned above. Total fail on the whole birthday and Christmas thing! I was just trying to cool down my system and install my new graphics card so I could play my also new game (D.A. Inquisition) with high settings. Spent days picking that stuff out, now I gotta try to send it all back just so the family can afford getting me the stupid CPU back. Ehh but my sob stories aren't going to help or change anything. I need to crash, but I'll be back. Thanks again bud, I really appreciate it! :)

Colin

#7 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

No problems mate, this can wait until you get some rest. As for the motherboard readings, it is possible for them to be incorrect, you might like to check the readings in the BIOS, and they are still ridiculous there, then I would assume you have a screwed temperature monitor. 

mYIGVc5.png

#8 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

Oh man I thought things couldn't get worse. I just booted my computer into BIOS to check the temps and everything looked ok. CPU.. not too hot, System Temperatures showed only one temp and it was the low one of the two that the program shows me... like 30 degrees celsius . So that was good I guess, but still worried about that high reading. Now time to take a screen shot for ya, but NOPE now I'm getting an error "Error starting your operating system"!! That sure sounds like software problems to me, how the heck can a chain of events go like this? So weird. I have a kesparsky (Spelled wrong) repair disk I've loaded off of twice and ran startup repair like 3 times. First time it found an error in the boot something or another and fixed it, second time.. it found a partition error and fixed it... still same error, third time... offered a system restore which ran and still same error. wow. I know there isn't much you can do at this point, but I think it's helping me let off steam on here cause I am going nuts with stress...

Edited by Slave2Society7, 13 December 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#9 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

Fixed it! Computer was trying to boot off of an external drive. Anyway, I gotta watch my nephew in 5 min. I grabbed that screen shot I wanted to show you though. Thanks as usual!

Attached File  Temps.jpg   134.54KB   1 downloads

#10 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Ahh, that makes sense. Since BIOS shows it fine, then ignore HWIDMonitor completely. 

mYIGVc5.png

#11 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

Awesome, sounds good to me. Thanks a lot for looking into that for me ! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users