Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poweliks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lostmate

Lostmate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

Which guide is better? I am helping a friend with their machine and I do not want to screw anything up. Please tell me the better guide to use.

Edit: Removed links to other sites for content we already have.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

Well since you asked -
Bleeping Computer site Admin, Grinler has produced a guide tor those who wish to do it themselves.

How to remove the Poweliks Trojan (Removal Guide)

If you find that you need help please do not be afraid to ask, and I will keep an eye here if you do ask this week -

Best of Luck -

#3 Lostmate

Lostmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for the information, but I was asking which of the two guides I posted was better. I will just try one and see how it goes, I will let you know how things work.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

Only one of those you listed mention using Eset as does the guide here at BC. I know that Eset does remove Poweliks.

So, you got the best advice in the first answer to your question.

Poweliks is capable of doing lots of bad stuff. You will need to do more than just remove poweliks to clean the crud that

it installs.

You're not a spammer are you?

Edited by buddy215, 13 December 2014 - 12:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

While ESET Tool is mainly used to remove the basic infection, there is also a good Symantec (Norton) tool that I run second as a check only.

Your links lead to "ComboFix" and other programs that should NOT be used in these cases, as they will "brick" your system if not used correctly.

We are more than happy to assist any person (free of charge) in the correct methods to remove and clean-up after this problem. .....

Thank You.

Edited by noknojon, 13 December 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

How do I remove a Poweliks infection? contains the instructions from ESET who created ESETPoweliksCleaner. Our Bleeping Computer removal guide essential provides the same information so either one of them can be trusted as buddy215 noted. ESETPoweliksCleaner has been very effective in most cases. After running the tool, if Poweliks was detected "Win32/Poweliks was successfully removed from your system" will be displayed.

Unfortunately, several experts have tested Symantec's tool without success but it's worth a try if ESET's tool does not work.

Both Rkill and MBAR should detect/terminate Poweliks.

BTW...Instructions for posting advice in Am I Infected

Posting referral links to non-Bleeping Computer malware removal guides is NOT permitted with the exception of well known security vendors like Kaspersky, ESET, Symantec, etc which sometimes release specialized fix tools with instructional documentation. This is because there are far too many untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information and poor removal advice. It is impractical for our staff to monitor and review all such guides for accuracy, therefore, we will not permit members helping others to refer to any of them.

For this reason your links were removed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users