Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need tips on triple booting W8.1, XP and Mint

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

This is my new computer.  They forced Win 8.1 on me and it's the worst thing I've ever seen.  I think MS really shot itself in the foot removing all support for DOS and that may be keeping some users running XP.

I'm running DOS programs in DOSBox but DOSBox doesn't support printing so I'm running XP in a virtual box.  It can print but it's not a long term solution.  What I want to do is triple boot the existing Win 8.1 with XP (I have an installation disk) and Linux Mint (a glorified Ubuntu).  I think it's time that Microsoft and I part ways but I need some legacy support before marrying Linux.

This tute tells me how to dual boot 8.1 and XP.  I'd think that triple booting would just involve using GParted to carve out another partition for Mint and running the installer.

Any tips?  Of course I am going to make an image of the entire HD first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

Any tips?

Yes, Have you got an external USB HDD? Use that.

When installing Linux

1 Make sure you plug in any printers or scanners Linux will detect them and install them for you.

2 Make sure you are connected to the net.

Dual-boot Linux Mint 17 and Windows 8 on a PC with UEFI ...

I'd think that triple booting would just involve using GParted to carve out another partition for Mint and running the installer.

Yes basically.

Linux Bootloader will replace the Windows one.

Resizing and Adding Partitions using GParted Live

Linux Mint (a glorified Ubuntu).

Yup. Linux for novices.

Of course I am going to make an image of the entire HD first.

Good idea also de-fragment you Hard Drive from within windows.

Edited by NickAu, 12 December 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#3 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Thanks, mate.  I owe you a beer next time you're in Florida.

The install prog is already burned to DVD and this system has a strange BIOS.  I can't "Boot from device".  I have to boot from:

Legacy only:  Boots from CD/DVD.  I have successfully booted from Mint DVD.

This option seems to work only if there is a bootable CD/DVD in the drive.  Otherwise it goes into some sort of infinite search freeze.

Auto: Boots from HD to Win 8.1

UEFI Only: Boots from HD to Win 8.1

Every other advice I have received has told me to unplug printers and scanners during install.  I have found Linux drivers for both of them. The scanner (Canon Lido) in particular tells me to install the drivers and support programs before connecting it.

Mint?  I'm definitely a novice but ready to dump MS for good.  I just don't want to spend time installing stuff that that should have come with the OS in the first place.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

Every other advice I have received has told me to unplug printers and scanners during install.  I have found Linux drivers for both of them. The scanner (Canon Lido) in particular tells me to install the drivers and support programs before connecting it.

Not with Linux.

I have successfully booted from Mint DVD.

Ok thats good you know it works.

UEFI Only: Boots from HD to Win 8.1

Dual-boot Linux Mint 17 and Windows 8 on a PC with UEFI ...

Forget triple boot Keep Windows 8 and install Linux. If you need XP install it in a VM on Linux.

Edited by NickAu, 12 December 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#5 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

I have XP in a VM in 8.1 and I really don't like it.  It looks crappy and it performs crappy.

I have XP's performance down to a science and I prefer to install it as its own OS.  Is there an overwhelming reason not to go with the triple boot?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

I have XP in a VM in 8.1 and I really don't like it.  It looks crappy and it performs crappy.

Try it in a Linux VM,  That PC has 4 GiB ram When you set up VM give XP 1 GiB  keep the rest for Linux you will be surprised at how fast it can be.

Video is from my PC.

http://youtu.be/Heeeg98kaaY

Is there an overwhelming reason not to go with the triple boot?

I have no idea as I have never triple booted, Having said that I can't see any issues. Linux will be fine with it as for Windows?????

Edited by NickAu, 12 December 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#7 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

Your video is the same VM I'm using now that I'm just not happy with as a long term solution.  I'd rather have a dedicated Win XP partition as my primary OS.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'd rather have a dedicated Win XP partition as my primary OS.

That's fine, Install your Windows as per the tutorial. This one. Then install Linux.  Then boot up see if it works, Like I said I have never triple booted so I cant help you there. If you need any help with Linux please start a new thread in the Linux section.

You may also like to read this. Following these steps will give you a nice fast operating system.

10 things to do first in Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon - Easy ...

#9 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:19 AM

Thanks.  I hope to get this completed this weekend.

I hope you're enjoying the golf tournament.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

No I am watching the Cricket. Australia v India

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users