Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound and Video issues after Firefox and Adobe Flash update

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hello, first time posting in these kind of forums. I’m used to googling around and finding the answer to my computer problems but so far no dice and I’m starting to get a wee bit stressed.

On Wednesday, my web browser FireFox and Adobe Flash player updated to the latest versions. I didn’t think anything of it until I attempted to play some videos and found the youtube ones crashing while other kinds of videos, often the HTML5 types (i.e. Vimeo) play but don’t have any sound at all.

I unchecked “Use smooth scrolling” and “Use hardware acceleration when available” as I seen advised when I looked up how to solve that problem but then I got the error where the youtube video tries to play the first few seconds three times as it tries lower or high quality settings before displaying its static “error” message and the other videos remain with no sound. I restarted the computer and reset firefox but I only came upon a solution when I temporarily disabled the speakers. When I re-enable the speaker, the sound comes back but soon it goes back to the status quo. It seemed to go away late Thursday morning and for the rest of the day but now its back.

I uninstalled Flash player and I thought that might be the cause but the youtube videos, which run on the inbuilt shockwave flash, just eventually become mute instead of crashing. Yesterday and today, some videos that continued playing as that came in and gained a static like sound, a bit like the sound that comes when things stutter and freeze, and the Blue Screen of Death appears. When I do the sound test for the speaker configuration this deep, it usually fails.

This problem isn’t restricted to my Firefox web browser. When I tried to watch both youtube and other kinds of videos on Internet Explorer, I encounter a similar kind of problem. I played a fifteen second clip I had on vlc media player and the sound during those times can ran from being mute initially to going in and out, sometimes with the same static.

This all takes place on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series computer, which I got in September. The past few weeks, there have been mutes and adobe flash crashes but I was always able to get things working again with a refresh or opening and closing Firefox. But this is becoming a great problem and I would appreciate any advice or insight you might give to the cause and possible fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:41 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community Dave :)

Just want to know if things are resolved or you still need help. Please follow the steps below just in case.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I did all 3 which went pretty quickly. I put the long codes behind the spoiler tags, which would hopefully not stretch the page. I'm vaguely planning on taking the computer to a place to be looked at Wednesday but if you have any suggestions about rectifying this sound problem, they'll be greatly appreciated. :)

Speccy - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/W7n3HAYoFo8fLZiglLJy4di

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

Have you tried installing the Dell (Realtek) Audio drivers already? One of the key crashes points to your sound driver.

Error: (12/14/2014 04:59:17 AM) (Source: Dell-System Update) (User: )
Description: Update Failure
User: David
Package: DELLMUP.exe
Description: Realtek HD Audio - DELL MUP Package, V1.0.0.11
Previous version: 6.0.1.7161, New version: 6.0.1.7023
Log file: C:\Dell\UpdatePackage\log\DELLMUP.log
Exit code = 3 (Dependency software error

Tekken

#5 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

I noticed that the audio driver I tried to install to fix this problem was outdated to the one I currently use, so I downloaded and reinstalled the audio driver compatible with this computer.

At first things worked but then the youtube crashed with "An error occured, please try again later," the HTML5 videos started playing mute and when I played that 15 second video on the VLC video player, the sound didn't come up right away (And by that I mean it remained mute and when the sound came on at, for example, the 5 second mark, the sound that's supposed to play from that 5 second mark onward starts playing).

I don't think that was the issue anyway since the video and sound started on Wednesday 12/10.

#6 circles7

circles7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

I've been experiencing a similar problem, likely the same. My system is an Acer Aspire V5-573G-74504G1Takk, which also sports a Realtek HD Audio soundcard. I wonder if it might be an issue with Adobe Flash and realtek ? And Firefox ? Or either one ?

Anyhow, I just went ahead and examined the advanced speaker properties, that can be accessed from the properties window of the selected playback device, by right-clicking the mixer icon on the systray and selecting 'playback devices'. I noticed that the check boxes under Exclusive Mode were both disabled, so I clicked the Restore Defaults button, which checked them both, and then applied.

10_10_2013_14_36_21.png

As far as I know, doing that seemed to eliminate the issue. I tried to play back audio from several sources at once, including YouTube, Tumblr, Spotify and Windows Media Player, and they all played back perfectly. I don't know anything about the technical details behind this, but I hope this tweak will resolve the issues you are experiencing too, if those two boxes happen to be unchecked.

#7 circles7

circles7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

Welp. It seems I spoke too soon. For some reason, the problem suddenly recurred again while keeping a Vine looping on Tumbr. I tried to open a YouTube video in Chrome with Firefox also runnning, and there was no sound. I then tried to play back a Vine in Chrome, which did produce sound. Strangely, Flash will also produce sound, even in both browsers at once, so I'm not really sure what's going on. By the way things appear, it seems Firefox might be causing a conflict with the soundcard.

Edited by circles7, 18 December 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

I noticed that the audio driver I tried to install to fix this problem was outdated to the one I currently use, so I downloaded and reinstalled the audio driver compatible with this computer.

From what support site is the driver from?

Tekken

#9 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

@circles7 Yeah, I tried the suggestion you made that ended up not working for you and it ended up not working for me either. Thank you for the suggestion though. I do wonder if this is a firefox problem after all. I'll look into that later.

@jhayz I downloaded the compatible one from this link and I had zero problem installing it. But I still have the sound problems. The sound driver seems to be completely up to date, so it MIGHT be a weird thing with the firefox upgrade.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

Let's try this,

Download Adwcleaner by Xplode from here.
Click on Adwcleaner and hit the Scan button and will begin to search for PUP and malicious files. Once finished click the Clean button.
Copy and paste the log on your next reply.

Scan for Malware using free Malwarebytes
Install then run a quick scan only after updating to the latest definition. Uncheck the trial pro version on setup and remove any found threats after running quick scan.
Please post also the result.

Download and install freeSuperantispyware- follow the prompts and complete the update then run a quick scan and remove found threats. Opt out of any trial pro version during install. Post the logs after completed.

Download JRT by thisisu from this link.
Make sure to disable your antivirus or any running protection softwares before running JRT to avoid interferences.
For Vista and Windows 7, right-click and Run as Administrator. In XP, double click JRT icon.
Please be patient and let the program finish scanning.
Once finish, a text document will open then copy-paste it on your next reply.

Try clearing your cache files : Free Ccleaner
Ignore the Registry feature of Ccleaner as it is not recommended or needed.

How's the computer running?

Tekken

#11 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

Sorry for the long wait. The Adwcleaner did its thing and I restarted the computer, and I thought it MIGHT have solved the sound problem. But I was mistaken, since when I got up today, the sound problem persisted. So I went through the rest of the programs recommended. Though the sound problem hasn't gone away as they did their work, I found refreshing a tab or going back to the video seemed to fix it temporarily.

I'll post a progress report late Sunday or Monday at the latest to see if there are any other problems. I've put the logs of each program under a spoiler cut. Since there seemed to be no logs for ccleaner, I left that out. If there are, please inform me how to find them. Hopefully, these logs might solve the mystery of what's been screwing with my computer's audio and video.

Adwcleaner

Spoiler

Free Malwarebytes

Spoiler

Superanitspyware

Spoiler

Junkware Removal Tool

Spoiler

Edited by DaveTheAnalyzer, 20 December 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

Run ESET online scanner
Download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and save it to your desktop
Follow the instructions and Leave the check mark next to .Remove found threats and place a check next to Scan archives
> Hit Start and ESET will begin to install, update and scan your computer.
> After scanning completes, click List of found threats.
> Click Export to text file and save the file to your desktop and name it Escanlog.
> Click Back button then Finish.
  Please Copy/Paste the report on your next reply.

Run System File Checker

Tekken

#13 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Did both, though I had to use SFCFix.exe to fix something found with the System File Checker. I might restart the computer after this post but for now, the sound issue remains, with the youtube videos having the Shockwave Flash crash rather than just going "error."

ESET Online scanner

C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\1368E9A2D92843F5BDBF0D0FBC96AB02\OptimizerPro.exe.vir                a variant of Win32/AdWare.SpeedingUpMyPC.N application       cleaned by deleting – quarantined

System File Checker + SFCFix.exe

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

0000056f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-12-21 10:04:27, Info                  CSI    00000571 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-12-21 10:04:27, Info                  CSI    00000572 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:166{83}]"Package_2709_for_KB3000850~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.8.3000850-6825_neutral_GDR"

014-12-21 10:18:21, Info                  CSI    000008ba [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2014-12-21 10:18:21, Info                  CSI    000008bc [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

CSI    00000572 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:166{83}]"Package_2709_for_KB3000850~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.8.3000850-6825_neutral_GDR"

SFCFix version 2.4.1.0 by niemiro.

Start time: 2014-12-21 10:41:26.238

Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::

FIXED: Performed DISM repair on file Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB of version 6.3.9600.17415.

SUMMARY: All detected corruptions were successfully repaired.

AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.

SFCFix version 2.4.1.0 by niemiro has completed.

Currently storing 0 datablocks.

Finish time: 2014-12-21 11:21:09.890

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:43 AM

Ca you remove Lagarith video codec (if not being used) then check the difference?

Tekken

#15 DaveTheAnalyzer

DaveTheAnalyzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

It seemed like it was already mostly removed but I removed that and one file from the registry editor (afraid to screw around with the other ones) but the selective muting seemed to be still around. I don't know if this is related but I can't help but notice when I open the volume mixer, the firefox volume sometimes indicates there's activity even if I'm playing no videos from the wen browser. I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling firefox to see if that would do anything for the sound problem. I'll have all my bookmarks backed up, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here are some additional or resaid details for this sound problem. I also noticed when I try to press "Test" for the "Speakers / Headphones" of the Playback devices (There are no other options), I get  "Failed to play test tone." Sometimes the videos would get to play for one or two times before the problem resumes. Sometimes there is something like static in the video, or the sound sounds warped as though it was being slowed down. For the vlc media player, the 15 second clip I play sometimes pauses and takes varying time to resume. There is at times screen distortion as the clip plays, sometimes accompanied by sound distortion which I managed to screencap and post below:

2jd2kl.png

I don't know if these additional details will help in narrowing down the problem but hopefully they would be of some use as you attempt to assist me. I do appreciate all the help you have been giving me thus far and hope we can find this problem's cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users