Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run Windows Update on newly installed Windows 8.1. Error code: 80072EE2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 greymatters

greymatters

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Just built a new gaming pc myself, all new parts, first build so maybe there's something I'm not doing right. But I was following this guide for windows 8.1 installation However I decided not to do any of those tweaks under "System Setup after Installation" I just skipped to installing drivers so it's a pretty normal installation. That's just extra information, probably not relevant.

Installed windows 8.1 OEM.

Installed my drivers and I connected to internet but when I try to check for windows updates I get this error

Code: 80072EE2

Looked online for a solution, found one on windows website. I then downloaded WindowsUpdateDiagnostic from another PC and ran it on the PC i'm having issues with, it fixed something but I still can't update.

I also can't open a webpage using internet explorer even thought I'm connected to the internet. When I type any address it just loads "waiting for ..."

I've also noticed that windows is not activated when I try to activate it I get "Windows can't activate. Try again later."

Don't know if relevant but I actually installed Windows the first two times incorrectly, I mean it installed fine but I was trying to install on a GPT formatted SSD (used diskpart with command prompt at windows install window to clean and convert to GPT) but even though I formatted with GPT I kept ending up with a MBR formatted SSD. The problem was I wasn't booting from a UEFI Device. Third time I made sure I did and it worked.

Also I noticed restarting my PC is taking a little more longer than I've experienced before. I see a screen saying "Restarting" with a loading icon for like a full minute and then the PC boots up again but it never shuts down which I find odd. I don't know if it's a feature of my new motherboard or something (MSI Z97 Gaming 5).

I have the correct time and date settings on my pc and I have not installed an AV yet. I'm also getting help from reddit, but no one has responded back with any new solutions in quite some time now.

Should I just reinstall my OS? That would be a lot quicker. I just don't want to because it's a new SSD but also I may have the same problem again idk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greymatters

greymatters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

Solved it myself! Only took half the day... All I did was just delete all files and folders in my temp folder and suddenly poofff! like magic I could access the internet and I can update windows. I'm installing updates right now hopefully once I restart my computer it'll still work!

Here is where I found the solution
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1946566/laptop-connection-shows-connected-access-internet-application.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users