Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there anything you hate more than Microsoft?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 raptorman

raptorman

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

Aargh!

Flipping bl**dy etc

I've got a brand new rig, right. I've only installed what I need: no frills, just the OS (Windows 7) and hardware drivers plus my CAD, image, spread sheet and word processing stuff . It's all up and running. I have to go to pick my daughter up from school, go to shut the PC down and wham! 'You have 28 updates to install, please do not shut down your computer.'

Ahh! I should have known. I tried to get away from PC frustration by building it all myself but Microsoft won't let me off the hook that easily. Never mind, I told myself. I just forgot to disable automatic updates when I installed the disc. I'll wait...I had to and so did my daughter.

Not only that but after we got in dripping wet from the cloudburst that wouldn't have caught us, were it not for Microsoft's delay, the updates meant that my shiny new Internet explorer 11 no longer worked right. I now have to start it in explorer. Worse than that it is something to do with the EU, the people that insisted on a specification for the shape of bananas*. I give up. I had taken so many careful steps to avoid loading dodgy crap onto the new rig that it maddens me that Microsoft have f***ed up my enjoyment of an otherwise faultless build in less than 2 hours!

I tried to send an E-mail to Microsoft but contacting them is like getting a CIA agent  in Guantanamo Bay to admit to torture.

Now I'm considering another two hours of personal  grief by wiping the disc, reloading a  clean installation and stopping  Microsoft from the start. They're worse than a virus.

Why is Windows so prevalent and cheap? I mean, E-bola is readily available and costs nothing, but it doesn't mean that it's good!

What do you think of Microsoft? Should we be allowed to swear and curse on this site? Hell, yes!

* I think it was the 'Browser Choice' update that may have screwed things up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

the EU

Seems like the entire cause of your problem?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,394 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

"They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear satanic messages ..... but that's nothing, if you play it forward it will install Windows"

Should we be allowed to swear and curse on this site? Hell, yes!

No....... This is a family friendly site.

What do you think of Microsoft?

Let's face the facts here, Good or bad without Microsoft most PC users would never know what a joy it is to own a PC and do all the things we do with it.

Ahh! I should have known. I tried to get away from PC frustration by building it all myself but Microsoft won't let me off the hook that easily.

Learn Linux.

I think it was the 'Browser Choice' update that may have screwed things up.

Is this a Microsoft product? Or 3rd party?

Information Regarding Web Browsers - BrowserChoice.eu

Regardless of Operating system it's the user that downloads and installs this sort of stuff, How is that Microsoft's fault?

PS.

OMG I am defending Microsoft. :o

Edited by NickAu, 12 December 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

You could have just left the computer running while you went and fetched your daughter. It wouldn't have done the computer any harm and neither you nor she would have got soaked. It isn't fair to blame the soaking on poor old MS !

As for updates, well . . .

Windows in all its forms is used on something approaching 90% of the world's computers and people keep finding ways to attack it to try and make ill-gotten gains. As these various loopholes are found, they get patched to plug them, hence updates.

The OS disc you installed Windows from may have been printed 6 or 12 months ago and would have been reasonably current at that point in time. But you have the 6 or 12 months of updates to catch up on. And if you don't install these updates you have a computer that is less secure than it ought to be.

Browser choice. This became mandatory in the EU when MS lost a long running court battle and up until the introduction of Win 7 SP1 it was included in the installation disc. When discs containing SP1 were published somehow the browser choice screen got left out but it is still a mandatory requirement in the EU so MS now includes it in your first round of updates after a new install. If you want to run IE as your default just choose it in the browser choice screen. No great hassle.

Learn to relax, leave the computer running, collect your daughter on time !  She's far more important anyway.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,394 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

The OS disc you installed Windows from may have been printed 6 or 12 months ago and would have been reasonably current at that point in time. But you have the 6 or 12 months of updates to catch up on

Same applies to a Linux ISO.

It isn't fair to blame the soaking on poor old MS !

I once broke my right foot and it was Microsoft’s fault. I kicked a malfunctioning Windows 2k box, Who knew they were made of steel?

Edited by NickAu, 12 December 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

"Should we be allowed to swear and curse on this site? Hell, yes!"
H*ll no! Swearing usually allows debates and arguments to drop into pure insulting matches where no meaningful reasons are given for viewpoints, when wise people argue they do so with logic, facts, theories, suggestions and concepts not with fury, rage, effing and bleeping. Swearing usually acts as an excuse not to think of reasons for an argument and just to stick solidly to an opinion without thinking.

"'You have 28 updates to install, please do not shut down your computer.'"
There is a solution to this, you don't need to do it during initial installation, just ensure that once the computer is initially up and running you set updates to "check automatically but let me choose when to download and install them". That way you would have logged off to see a tiny prompt in the logon screen saying something to the effect of "there are new updates ready for your machine, next time you log on you can look over them and chhose which to install". That way you just make sure to do a manual check every tuesday evening and wednesday as well, then when you do see updates have arrived you can deselect any you really don't want (KB2871389 if you are in windows 8) and wait until a time that suits you to install those you do want (basically the security ones). If you check weekly updates won't pile up too much, although these days there are more being released per month than in the past so 28 updates is less than two months worth. With this done you can make sure never to run a process which may either take time or trigger problems when you have important things to do shortly afterwards.

" shiny new Internet explorer 11"
Shiny as it might be it is bettered by firefox or chrome in terms of: speed, functionality, security, options that a user can set, reliability. I used to use it on my xp machine back in 2011, then one day i updated google earth and google bundled chrome with it, well i tried chrome and my browsing went from a crash every few minutes to a smooth and fast experience. I learnt of firefox a few years later and having been using it recently because of the security advantages it can offer with a careful choice of extensions.

" I think it was the 'Browser Choice' update that may have screwed things up."
Unlikely, i remember when i got that on my xp machine back in 2009 (ish), all it did was show a one-off pop up window saying something to the tune of "these are some alternative choices for browsers, if you want to download any of them follow the links, if you do't then close this little window and you need think no more of it". I don't think that update would do anything to alter deep and important system settings so i'm not sure how it could cause problems. If you had known you didn't want the browser choice update then "check automatically but ask me before dowmload" would have allowed you to avoid that update(and turn the system off quickly to reboot and deal with the updates when you got home.

"What do you think of Microsoft?"
Sometimes they do underhand things but THIS isn't really one of them. There were many ways to have prevented this "problem" and leaving your computer turned on when you left the house so it could finish shutting down in it's own time would have done no harm. If any of the 28 updates that were installed are causing you irritation or annoyance it is not hard to remove the particular one that is giving the issue and return the system to the way it was before updating.

"the EU, the people that insisted on a specification for the shape of bananas"
I know about that affair, stupid and wasteful bureacracy but the EU itself is not the problem. the whole idea of the EU is a pretty wise one, speaking as an englishman myself all i think is that we've let our country go TOO far in. We should collaborate with europe on many joint projects and work together in common external goals(and freedom of movement and trade is also a pretty good thing), all Britain needs to do is say "we'll keep working with you but we aren't letting you decide our internal laws". International collaboration is a good thing and it is an oversimplification to see the EU as an "in" OR "out" affair, there are different levels of in and somewhere on that scale (rather than at either of it's ends) sits the rational choice. Bureaucracy in general is a bad thing but it's not just the EU which is affected, and insisting on a usually unintrusive little window that just gives the user a list of other browsers ranks at zero on the scale of bad things done by bureaucrats.

p.s. raptorman, i rather like some of the metaphor's you've used. Loads of good newspaper columnists come up with similar things, makes for some funny reading. Perhaps you are applying to be the next Jermey Clarkson, one way or another i think you might have some talent for writing witty rants.

Edited by rp88, 12 December 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Who?

Who?

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

apple

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

apple

beat me to it. :P

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:11 AM

My extensive list would derail this topic very badly. Plus go off on a tangent more suitable to the Speakeasy. :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 raptorman

raptorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Thanks to you all.

I should learn to control my passionate dislikes, or should I?

What I should most definitely do is to stick to my own self-imposed rule of not posting to any site after a drink of anything stronger than coffee. I have to admit that I broke the rule this time.

I still don't like Microsoft. I probably never will. I do understand the need for security updates, but the number of times, I check the update description and it states the exact same, non-descript blurb that tells you nothing is amazing. If you don't allow everything to be updated you have to trawl the internet for KB168975 or whatever. I takes ages. Some of them are updates for systems I don't use, others are reputedly more sinister.

I suppose the reason that I exploded about it was that I performed a new and clean install of an older OS. As such, I was inundated with every update since Windows 7 was first sold. In total, I have now had over 200.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

"but the number of times, I check the update description and it states the exact same, non-descript blurb that tells you nothing is amazing"

I quite agree with this, fortunately the "Security Update for ..." updates usually explain themselves well, it is the "Update for Windows X Y-based systems" which give (in some cases) very sketchy descriptions, sometimes just "this fixes known issues". On the security updates follow the link labelled as "for it professionals" near the top to get to a page about whatever vulnerability a security update is designed to adress, these pages can be tricky to undrstand but they do atleast present real information giving a user some idea as to what the purpose of certain "Security Updates for ..." are. By the way if an update is for a "system you don't use" and it is a secuity update being offered to you then you should probably install it, in these cases it is likely that the particular thing it is for might not be something you use but it likely runs in the background where it could be exposed to attacks. Just because you don't use a certain program (or have not heard of it) doesn't mean you are safe from vulnerabilities in it unless you are absolutely sure that it is not on the system. Example, i never touch internet explorer, it sits as an icon in my task bar and is NEVER opened, but when windows offers a SECURITY update for it i patch it immediately as such vulnerabilities can sometimes be exploited without me ever needing to open IE. When normal updates are offered (those that don't label themselves as security) i am rather more cautious due to the huge number of crashes due to badly coded recent updates and because of what KB2871389 and KB2973544 do against windows 8 users.

Although i trust microsoft far less than i did before they rolled out KB2973544 and far less than i did back when they saw the desktop and laptop as a constant in the future of computing (rather than their current "Milk the user for money" and tablets approach) there are still many things i distrust (and/or hate) more.

Edited by rp88, 16 December 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

You could have just left the computer running while you went and fetched your daughter. It wouldn't have done the computer any harm and neither you nor she would have got soaked. It isn't fair to blame the soaking on poor old MS !

As for updates, well . . .

Windows in all its forms is used on something approaching 90% of the world's computers and people keep finding ways to attack it to try and make ill-gotten gains. As these various loopholes are found, they get patched to plug them, hence updates.

The OS disc you installed Windows from may have been printed 6 or 12 months ago and would have been reasonably current at that point in time. But you have the 6 or 12 months of updates to catch up on. And if you don't install these updates you have a computer that is less secure than it ought to be.

Browser choice. This became mandatory in the EU when MS lost a long running court battle and up until the introduction of Win 7 SP1 it was included in the installation disc. When discs containing SP1 were published somehow the browser choice screen got left out but it is still a mandatory requirement in the EU so MS now includes it in your first round of updates after a new install. If you want to run IE as your default just choose it in the browser choice screen. No great hassle.

Learn to relax, leave the computer running, collect your daughter on time !  She's far more important anyway.

Chris Cosgrove

I have just installed my new computer, an all in one Lenovo with Win8.1. I had to be very careful during the installation as there were loads of unwanted things that were quite difficult to avoid. The worst thing was Yahoo. It popped up no matter what I did and I had to treat it like malware to get rid of it. I certainly will never use Yahoo in any form in future,

#13 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

...the next Jermey Clarkson...

Who is now not going to face police charges.  This means he is probably free to go to the BBC and demand a licence fee increase (i.e. sue them for an inordinate sum of money because they sacked him, and the good old BBC will reward its loyal 'customers' by covering the cost by way of a licence fee increase).

Anyway....

When I first got the "Browser Choice" software, it nagged me every time I started my computer for a good few weeks and even though I responded to it more positively than just closing it down - even by using it to bring on board 2 or 3 other browsers - I still kept getting it pop up automatically on every (re)start.  It became very annoying but finally it stopped and I forgot all about it.

Edit: Fix typo.

Edited by Angoid, 07 April 2015 - 08:36 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#14 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

Staying on topic,

Things I hate more the MS-Windows 7

1. MS-Windows 8

2. MS-Windows Vista

3. MS-Windows Millennium

4. MS-DOS 4

Things I enjoy more that MS-Windows 7

1. Spinal Taps

2. Donating bone marrow

3. Sun burn

4. American take away food

Cheers!

Naught

#15 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

Things I enjoy more that MS-Windows 7

1. Spinal Taps

2. Donating bone marrow

3. Sun burn

4. American take away food

Add one more thing that I enjoy more than Win7Pro

Windows 2.0 over MS-DOS 3.3 on my 9.47MHz Intel 8086 with 8087 CoPro!

Cheers!

Naught

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users