Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Booting Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crazylimbs

crazylimbs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:13 AM

I have Windows XP Home Edition and one morning I tried to turn my computer on and found that windows will not boot up. It goes into a continuous loop and the Windows XP screen will come up where it is thinking, but will never actually bring up windows. After 5-10 minutes, it goes back to rebooting.

I have pressed F8 to try and change order of boot phases, but am not to knowledgeable of what to do there, but tried various different things to no avail. I have tried to boot in Safe Mode and other options available on that screen, but still not able to bring windows up.

I have not tried to use the CD's yet as I'm afraid to lose any files that I have on my Hard drive!! :thumbsup:

I am @ a lost and have tried what I know. If there is any help that people may provide, please help me!!! :flowers:

My computer is a Compaq Presario 725 Laptop and I had purchased in 2002...I know it's old, but never had major issues until now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:44 AM

I've had that happen to me before. I asked around here, and got pretty much no answer. I couldn't boot in safe mode, w/o networking, or even in command prompt without it restarting.

Mine didn't stop until i re-installed windows. So, instead of losing all your files, do this:

Download a version of "Live Linux" (like Knoppix or Puppy Linux). When you download and burn the files to a cd, insert the cd into your malfunctioning computers CD drive. The next time it boots up, it'll boot directly to the linux OS (should, anyway). That way you can save any files you want to. E-mail them to yourself, put them on a floppy/thumb drive, send them to a friend to be retrieved later, whatever.

Then, keep Knoppix or whatever Live Linux distrobution you downloaded. It's been a major factor in my computer history, since windows seems to crash about as often as you hit the "F" key on your keyboard. I still have files that are 6 years old, but have had to re-install windows at least 6 times on 2 different boxes.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 19 June 2006 - 10:45 AM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

Here try this after you take your hard drive and put it inot another computer as a slave drive and backup all of your data manually or with a backup program two links that might help with this are:

I would suggest printing these documents for reference.

PC World = Ultimate Backup Guide
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,101767,00.asp

The backup and recovery solution that awards 100% reliability and superior performance at a click of a button.
http://www.backupanswers.com/freewinbackup/

For re-installing Windows there is a way to do it and it is a non-destructive way

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users