Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Range Extender vs. 2nd router for better wifi coverage 2 story house

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rcaf41

Rcaf41

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

I am wanting better wifi coverage on the 2nd story of my home. Normally my children connect their smart phones and/or tablets, but the wifi is slow and spotty upstairs. The router is located downstairs, DLink N with cable ISP. I have heard varying opinions on range extenders and just using a 2nd router connected to the first using bridge mode. I am not biased to either solution, I am just looking for the solutions that give be a reliable and strong wifi signal upstairs. Thx in advance for any help. Btw the most recommended wifi extender in my circles has been the Netgear 600.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

and either solution will work. I'd steer clear from Powerline extenders, not from personal experience but just my exposure to them on here they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Something to think about:

1. if you use an extender which is a wifi router to extender connection you have wifi to the extender and wifi to the router.  You get a certain amount of performance drop since wifi has a lot of overhead and you are doing double wifi to the router.

2. if you connect a second router by its lan port to the first router you don't have the overhead of the wifi between the two device.  If you can connect at gig you are even better than with a wifi connection.

Lots of success stories with powerline adapters.  Mostly comes down to proper home wiring and grounding.

#4 Rcaf41

Rcaf41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. After further review of range extenders versus access points, I am leaning toward using an access point mostly due to the performance drop that comes with extenders/repeaters. I do have a Belkin Wireless G (802.11 G) router I am currently not using and it does have the functionality to be used as an access point. My main D-link router is 802.11 N router and all devices connecting to it have 802.11 N capability. If I connect the Belkin Wireless G router as an access point, will that cause all other devices to then connect at 802.11 G, even those not connecting through the access point but the main router?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

The AP will have no affect on the main routers wifi.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users