Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection loses internet mostly on browsers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 auron10124

auron10124

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Recently I switched my ISP from atnt to Bright House in my apartment. I went from a 6mbps to 150 mbps speed. However, when I switched to Bright House, my cable connection keeps flipping. Sometimes it'll load up the site to not at all. It doesn't say I lost connection at all, it just wont load up sites. If I switch the ports on the modem to different ports it will start up most of the time. But sometimes I have to keep doing that.

Sometimes after I lose connection to a site it will give me an error for: "error code dns_probe_finished_no_internet". I initially thought this was a DNS issue.

Most of my other room mates are connected through wifi and it seems to be working fine for them. I seem to be the only one with the problems. I bought a wifi adapter and that seems to be having the same problem as connecting through a cat5e.

I've already tried scanning my computer with malwarebytes, three times. I've tried flushing the dns, using a public dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and such. I've also tried release renew. I talked to Bright House and they seem to see no issues with the modems connection nor a problem with my browser. So I'm just absolutely confused. I tried it on firefox as well as internet explorer but it seems to always happen. My skype and spotify seem to be working fine. I can keep a call on for quite a while whilst listening to music on spotify. It seems just loading up webpaged gives the biggest issue. Sometimes skype and spotify will have hiccups though and it will take a while to connect and such but it never FULLY loses connection.

I would love for help on the matter, I've tried everything I could and I'm just losing hope here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

connect direct to the wall outlet and so a broadband test.

connect via wifi and do the same test to the same site

Post the results for review.

Download xirrus wifi inspector and post a screen shot of what it sees for channels, dbm etc.

#3 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:42 PM

Well I connected directly to the modem and I got about this:

3981170653.png

I could not for the life of me stay connected on my wifi adapter. It would tell me theres absolutely no internet access entirely then. It would try to continue to identify it.

My other room mates seem to have no trouble surfing on it. Wierder thing, i can keep a skype call up and it'll be fine. I'll also be on this site and i can refresh the page at ease, but when i try to go on a different site in a new tab, it will be stuck on "resolving host" or "connecting".

#4 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

Even more odd, I sometimes see "downloading proxy script" occassionally with addition to resolving host. I checked if my internet settings are going through a proxy and it isn't.

#5 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

Even MORE odd. I did a sample ping of google and I still got replies. But I can't see it on the browser. Any browser for that matter (I.E chrome, firefox, internet explorer)

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

Well my thinking is you have malware or something messing with your browsers. Boot into safe mode with networking and try it wired, if all is fine you got a bug of some kind that needs cleaned. Try running malwarebytes while in safe mode. If malwarebyes finds nothing, you could also try OpenDNS server 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. All of this in safe mode. Good luck

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thank you all for helping me out with this. In all my years of PC Support, granted it's high school level, I've never had something so peculiar.

I'm in safe mode now with the new connection and it's been working perfectly so far. I also tried running a scan on malwarebytes but it came up clean like always. I'm right now trying a FULL scan on it to see what happens.

UPDATE: I recently found a couple new things on the full scan, I think the regular scans just weren't looking in the right places. I'll post back for updates!

#8 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

Well I didn't find anything of interest. Mostly just non-malware stuff. And now it's happening even on safe mode so I'm seriously just losing it.

#9 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Wierd thing i found. When the internet is working for a short time, ill be on a youtube video. If i open up a new page in a new tab and cant connect, the video will keep loading.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I would look at updating your wireless driver. What is the make and model of the computer? Sometimes the intel wireless drivers can get wonky. Right click  your wireless adaper in Device Manager, select Properties and under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post.

#11 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

Mine is a built computer. Plus it doesn't have a wireless adapter, although granted i borrowed a friends usb one to test it out. Both have the same results.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

what about changing the DNS servers to opendns?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#13 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:47 AM

I tried that before, but recently I called up my ISP and found out that there was a packet ditribution error happening with my modem.

They sent somebody over so they fixed it all up. Apparently some firewalls were up on my modem that were messing with the packet distribution.

Changing it to resolved. Thank you all for helping though, I'm really glad I got help as far as I could!

#14 auron10124

auron10124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

NEW THING

Okay jesus it's still having trouble. Whether I'm on an open DNS, safe mode, or black magic, my computer still gets issues connecting while my friend is online. I keep getting connection aborted.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

Go to Device Manger. Right click on the NIC and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware Id's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users