Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing for Non Domain users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orchus

Orchus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

Greetings everyone,

I need a bit of advice from my more experienced peers.

We have a W2K8x32SP2 server running as print server and domain controller. The office is a Realtor office. Meaning, about 15 staff computers on domain, and about ~100 transient non domain users (realtors) coming in and out in a hurry needing to print stuff from their computer. 

Domain users can map to the drivers easily simply by going to Devices and Printers and adding it from the list. They are the happy fews...

Initially, for non domain users, who also happen to be on a different subnet, we had to use network admin credentials to \\printserver and from there connect the users to the printers one by one. This caused in the end driver corruption, and usually things would work for a day. Shooting from the hips, I would bet that the credentials and connection evaporate with reboot? I don't know why, but this approach didn't work out. Also, doing it this way meant that the preferences of the driver when accessed were changed on the server, so any accounting code or other user preferences couldn't be localized.

So at this point I have an outsource IT that is coming in to install manually the drivers on each user and that's a huge step backward I feel. I read that one could create a guest domain user then use "net use printserver user password etc." something to that effect. I'm not sure if doing that would not cause the same problems we had when using network admin credentials to map the driver.

The business case here makes convenience more desirable than security. Hence I need to find a way to easily setup incoming users to print what they need. What would you recommend?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

ps: The drivers are for a Xerox 560 with embedded fiery (drivers at http://goo.gl/mS9USN )

Edited by Orchus, 12 December 2014 - 10:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

I would put in a guest standalone wifi network with a network printer attached for them to connect to and print from.  If you wanted to include internet access on this guest network you could.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

Simplest solution would be to have a Windows 7 machine which has access to the printer and share the printer on the windows 7 machine as it will host the drivers for the printer.

Have the user logon as a standard user, install printer so it pulls the drivers from server (Doesnt have to be a member of domain) and share printer so people can walk up and go print straight away.

#4 Orchus

Orchus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

In the end they got a user domain account that they share to map the printers... 

Thank you both for your comments! :)

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:04 AM

Throw up a cheap wifi router and a wifi printer. You want to keep the public off the office network anyways it's causing more loads and it's a whole lot more insecure etc. You probably spent that kind of money fixing problems trying to figure out what to do lol. Put them into their own pond.

Edited by technonymous, 23 December 2014 - 05:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users