Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting problem HP Compaq dc7900

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brancoveanu

brancoveanu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

We are a school with a HP network - 10 HP Compaq dc7900 computers, all identical. Few weeks ago when I started the job here I found 2 of 10 PCs not working. During the last week other 2 collapsed. All of them have the same symptoms.

The PC starts booting, the memory test runs and the screen shows:

HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower

v01.16

<F9=Boot Menu> <F10=Setup> <F12=Network>

The keyboad responds within the first few seconds after that screen of hang appears (2 or 3 seconds) and pressing F9 or F10 triggers the option but leads nowhere (still hangs) - then the PC freezes. The same thing happens if I just wait without pressing any key – PC freezes.

I checked the cables, the HDD, the memory. I replaced the battery and cleared the CMOS. The problem is that I cannot reach BIOS or read any CD/USB flash drive. I read about a similar issue on the net, with no follow-up, unfortunately.

Please – help needed !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

How old are these computers? I'm wondering if maybe they don't have enough RAM to be compatible with the OS.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Is the drive detected in BIOS?

Pull everthing from the computer except the keyboard and mouse. Detach the power cable. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and see if you can get to BIOS.

If not, take a look at this guide. This computer may have a sub-bios called AMT. On page 5 disable Intel ME state control and see if that works. The guide will show you how to access this sub-bios.

If that does not work, you can try flashing the BIOS to a later version but that can brick the computer if the flash fails. On HP's support site for the computer there are a number of BIOS firmwares depending on which BIOS you have. They can be installed using a bootable disk. HP provides the iso.

#4 brancoveanu

brancoveanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

The computers are 6 years old and they run Windows Vista with 2GB RAM - anyway they have worked for a number of years.

Edited by brancoveanu, 12 December 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#5 brancoveanu

brancoveanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Thank you, JohnC_21 - I will try what you suggested and revert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users