Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new wd blue 2.5 hdd problems Options

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jpread988

Jpread988

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hi all,

I hope you can help

Yesterday morning I was using my laptop at work and all was working as it should shut down, when I got home I booted the laptop up to get a hdd error,

I run out this morning and purchased a new wd blue hdd and installed it to get my laptop back up and running, but no joy the hdd is not showing up in the bios and windows cant find it when it's trying to install,

My laptop is a dell inspire 1545 and it was running windows vista and that's what I am trying to reinstall

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards
Jamie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

If the hard drive is not seen at a bios level, either you have a bad drive, a problem with the motherboard, a connection issue between the board and the hard drive, or some random incompatibility with the hard drive. It is possible to get a new DOA (dead on arrival) hard drive, it is rare but it happens. What is the size (GB) of the hard drive?

Edited by zingo156, 12 December 2014 - 09:32 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

I ran into this problem awhile ago. The original drive on the 1525 is 9.5mm. Some of the Blues are 7mm.  The solution was to use paper to take up the additional space. There may be a heat issue as described in the toms hardware thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532090/inspiron-1525-not-recognizing-new-hard-drive/page-2?hl=%2Bpaper#entry3352029

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1946230/unable-dectect-blue-hard-drive-dell-inspiron-1545.html

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19593054

#4 Jpread988

Jpread988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

100% correct, iv just put both hdd next to each other and there is 3mm difference, can't bloody believe it they do not state drive thickness on any of the packaging,

Do you think pc work will give a refund on this count (I can see them refusing)

#5 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Which SATA port do you have it connected to? Have you made any changes in the BIOS?
Try to do a factory reset to see if any changes will occur. If not, connect the drive in another computer (may also be done via external docking station). If it is recognized and working, the problem may be in some of the other laptop components. If not - than you should call support or go to this link, since it is most likely an RMA case:

Feel free to ask further questions, Citizen_WD

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Did the drive come with a foam sticker with instructions for installation? If I recall correctly, those 7mm WD drives came with a sticker to put on the top to fill the gap.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 Jpread988

Jpread988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

Did the drive come with a foam sticker with instructions for installation? If I recall correctly, those 7mm WD drives came with a sticker to put on the top to fill the gap.

Ha, the instruction in the box are 2 lines long

This drive is designed for professional installation the instructions typically supplied with internal drive kits are not included please take this drive to a professional installer,

It's the worst packaged thing I have ever bought nothing is stated on the box just laptop internal hard drive,

#8 Jpread988

Jpread988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

All installed and working I used a couple of 3mm plastic spacers, I hope they won't melt they are hard plastic ment to space upvc windows

Cheers for all the help

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm just glad I was able to remember that problem, being what my memory is now days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users