Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Crazy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jrand26

Jrand26

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:48 AM

I have been having trouble whenever i try to play any games, it either freezes, crashes to the desktop or restarts and says "windows has recovered from a serious error" I have an ATI radeon 9250 with the latest drivers (it happened when i had the default ones too). The games i play shouldnt have a problem with that graphics card, BF 1942 ect. I have tried all sorts of registy fix programs but nothing works. I close down unnescessy programs before i play as well, Sometimes it lets me play for 10-30 min before crashing. I dont think its temperature because i took my case side off and it still did it. Does anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:07 AM

Are you getting a blue screen?

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 simliar numbers in parenthasis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthasis).

This will help you diagnose why you are getting the stop messages. Of course, anything else the message says will help diagnose it's cause also.

If your computer only flashes the blue screen for a split second and then reboots go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have time to write down the message. You will have to reboot manually.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

That sounds like a problem of RAM. I used to experience the same things back in the day, before i got my new box.

However, go w/ Albert's tip first, as you may have enough ram, yet still have the error.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

We should be able to tell if it is a RAM issue by seeing the code from the blue screen.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:15 AM

Thank you for replying. I have only ever gotten the BSOD once, it was loading windows and halfway through it had the a blue screen with a message that said something like "windows has encountered an error and has stopped to prevent damage to your computer" if it happens again i will write what it says down and post it. I will also try running memtest.

#6 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:54 AM

I ran MemTest and it said there were no errors with my ram. I dont know if this changes things but i was playing worms 4 and the display went funny and then it restarted, could this be a video card problem causing these crashes?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

Yes it could. But we are still guessing at this point. Have you followed the advice in the second half of post #2 yet?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Your power supply could be failing. You could either take a volt meter (digital is preferred) and stick the red wire into the yellow wire and see how stable the 12-v line is. I know it seems like a shot in the dark, but is worth a try.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

It never does the BSOD for me to right stuff down, It just crashes.

#10 Jrand26

Jrand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:59 AM

i have the BSOD message, its

0x0000008e

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:54 AM

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users