Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wally hughstan

wally hughstan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

On System Properties - System Restore, it shows drive C and D as suspended. Moving on to Settings, it says there is not enough disk space. In fact, there is 37GB free space on disk C and 67GB of free space on Drive D. (The system restore appears not to be working. The last registered date was 25 May 2006.)

What is the likely cause, please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hi wally.
Is your D drive a partition or a seperate drive?
MS will tell you it's because a file that system restore monitors and resides on drive D was copied, deleted or modified, which results in system restore being suspended across the board.

The System Restore Utility May Be Suspended on a System Drive Even Though There Is Enough Disk Space

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 10:12 AM.

#3 test n' trial

test n' trial

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

I tried system restore and the professional I talked to said nomatter what dont use it. The answer.....It takes up disc space and can potentially harm your computer.

Edited by test n' trial, 19 June 2006 - 10:28 AM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

Well, System Restore is there for a reason and not using it jsut for some system hard drive space is not a real good solution. You can always set the System Restore to lower settings. But that is not the problem here.

n this case, I recommend trying to reinstall System Restore, here's how:

1. You will need to be able to view hidden files, so go to Start>> Control Panel>> Folder Options>> View tab. Under Advanced settings, place a check mark in: "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck: "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply, then OK to exit.

2. Open Windows Explorer, then go to Windows>> inf folder. Open the inf folder and find a file named:

sr.inf

Right click this file and select "Install" from the resulting menu.

Note: This procedure will delete all restore points from your old installation and recreate a fresh installation of System Restore.

When finished with this reboot the system and try going back into system restore and see if it works.

Have a good day

#5 wally hughstan

wally hughstan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

re System Restore

System Restore now shows "monitoring' on both drives, plus the maxtor 300GB external drive.

Thank you all.

Wally

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

System Restore is one of the best ideas MS has ever had and the "professional" who told you not to use it is probably not well trained in MS op systems. It can save you a lot of grief using it for the purpose it was intended for!

Hard drive space is very cheap and easy to add, and it is certainlty more advantageous adding an additional or a larger hard drive than disabling System Restore.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

You are entirely Welcome.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

Just a small point. For safety's sake, don't forget to go back and hide hidden files.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

I had an event yesterday where Fire Fox lost my identity. This was 10:00am. I run Spybot S&D every night at 04:00am. Spybot S&D creates a restore point when it runs. I have enough drive set aside for 14 days of restore points. I had failed to manually backup my bookmarks. If you are like me, it is near impossible to recover that if I were to lose it. Thanks to System Restore and Spybot S&D, I was able to recover my entire list of bookmarks.
I know this may sound petty, but is just as easy have been non replaceable data.

First, BACKUP EVERYTHING! Second only turn System Restore off if you are working on, or repairing Windows.

I backup my Registry files manually every Sunday night. Now I also backup my Bookmarks. I consider System Restore as important as a Firewall, antivirus, or one of my many spyware programs. It will only take one time to make a believer of you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 wally hughstan

wally hughstan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:14 AM

"Just a small point. For safety's sake, don't forget to go back and hide hidden files."

Thank you. I did that without really knowing why, but it seemed a good idea to back- track.

Appreciate your concern.

Wally.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

"Just a small point. For safety's sake, don't forget to go back and hide hidden files."

Thank you. I did that without really knowing why, but it seemed a good idea to back- track.

Hidden files are usually hidden for a reason: so that they don't get deleted or tampered with by accident.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 wally hughstan

wally hughstan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:03 AM

"Hidden files are usually hidden for a reason: so that they don't get deleted or tampered with by accident."

Makes sense. And I would be just the person to corrupt them, which must have happened in the past, going on some of the (previously) inexplicable things that have happened to my computers.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users