Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which CPU do I buy?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 superesse

superesse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:52 AM

Hi there,

So a few months ago my old motherboard died, and I needed a repair right away, they didn't have the same board so they gave me a different one that wasn't compatible with my old CPU, and this one I think is low end. 

Currently I'm using an AMD-A4-6300 APU processor, and it's bad, I have a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti and when I'm in games, my CPU is always at 100% and my GPU is capping at like 20-40% so I'm getting nowhere near the power I need.

My current motherboard is a Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H and it's good enough, I just need a better processor.

Can anyone maybe recommend me a budget processor, like maybe $100-130, because I know nothing about processors and I don't even know how to make sure they're compatible. I know how to place them in with the thermal paste, however, I just would like a new one so I can get better performances FPS-wise.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2014 - 05:10 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

This should be a relatively good processor for you. Fits into the price range and is on the compatibility lists for your board. Has a good boost frequency and has decent overclock ability.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

Yes, I can confirm that the A10-7700K is in your price-range the the best for the FM2+ socket. :)

Edited by Ezzah, 12 December 2014 - 02:28 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#4 superesse

superesse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:34 AM

Yes, I can confirm that the A10-7700K is in your price-range the the best for the FM2+ socket. :)

This should be a relatively good processor for you. Fits into the price range and is on the compatibility lists for your board. Has a good boost frequency and has decent overclock ability.

Ok thanks I'm gonna order it, but professionally speaking, do you think the reason why I'm not getting good performance is because of my current CPU?

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

The FM2+ is an older CPU, it depends on what games you're playing, as well as the clutter on your Windows. Also what your other specs are, such as RAM.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Some general pointers about using an old system and trying to get max performance:

> If possible, increase memory to max amount you can stuff into it. If you are running a 32 bit system, max is 4 gigs.

> Remove all possible autoloader programs from starting on boot. This is the single biggest drag on performance. Take everything you can out of memory that loads. Remove all BHOs and Toolbars, they are not necessary for the running of your computer and one of the biggest performance slowdown causes; programs like Microsoft Office, various utilities, etc. all load an autostart when installed. You can easily start them by clicking a shortcut on your desktop, they do not have to be running in your system tray.  One of the best utilities for doing this is Hijack This; just be extremely careful what you remove, you can damage your OS. Do not remove system files.

Two other excellent tools for checking what is loading on boot are Comodo Autoruns; it comes with the free Comodo firewall, you will find the executable file with and icon in the root of Comodo in Explore. The other is Autoruns by Microsoft. Again, be careful what you remove or suspend from loading.

Disconnect from the internet (unless you are online gaming of course) and suspend your antivirus and firewall (not if you are online!).

Look for any way you can to have as few things running as possible.

Edited by ranchhand_, 12 December 2014 - 09:23 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 superesse

superesse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

Some general pointers about using an old system and trying to get max performance:

> If possible, increase memory to max amount you can stuff into it. If you are running a 32 bit system, max is 4 gigs.

> Remove all possible autoloader programs from starting on boot. This is the single biggest drag on performance. Take everything you can out of memory that loads. Remove all BHOs and Toolbars, they are not necessary for the running of your computer and one of the biggest performance slowdown causes; programs like Microsoft Office, various utilities, etc. all load an autostart when installed. You can easily start them by clicking a shortcut on your desktop, they do not have to be running in your system tray.  One of the best utilities for doing this is Hijack This; just be extremely careful what you remove, you can damage your OS. Do not remove system files.

Two other excellent tools for checking what is loading on boot are Comodo Autoruns; it comes with the free Comodo firewall, you will find the executable file with and icon in the root of Comodo in Explore. The other is Autoruns by Microsoft. Again, be careful what you remove or suspend from loading.

Disconnect from the internet (unless you are online gaming of course) and suspend your antivirus and firewall (not if you are online!).

Look for any way you can to have as few things running as possible.

The FM2+ is an older CPU, it depends on what games you're playing, as well as the clutter on your Windows. Also what your other specs are, such as RAM.

Thanks I'm gonna try that!

My specs are...

Windows 7 64 Bit

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti

Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H mobo

8 GB DD3 Ram

AMD A4-6300

Coolmaster Xtreme 2 525w PSU

My performance is definitely not as good as it was before, like before I was able to play BF4 on medium with a solid 30-40 FPS and now on low I'm getting about 15-20

Would my CPU be the problem or could it be something else?

#8 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

CPU would make a decent improvement than what you currently have in there. It has 2x the performance, 35% lower power consumption, more L2 Cache, higher clock speeds, more cores, 2x the threads and a  better overclock speed (up to 4.9 Ghz watercooled compared to a max of 4.25 Ghz). I would say you could easily get back to better performance and possibly a FPS of 30-60 in BF4 on medium.

Look here for bench marking information

Edited by gavinseabrook, 12 December 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Gavin Seabrook

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

As you are using a GTX 750 Ti, you don't need the graphics element of the APU and therefore I'd be inclined to go for an Athlon X4 860K.  This 3.7 Ghz quad core chip is essentially an A10-7850K without the integrated GPU.  An A10-7700K will be fine though.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

For sure, an upgraded processor will make a big difference. But seriously, educate yourself as to running as clean a system as possible. I get at least 2 computers a month that have slowed down something awful, and it takes me a couple of hours to remove all the junk and garbage that has accumulated. I have seen as many as six BHO loaders from Internet Explorer alone (another reason to use Firefox) not to speak of several toolbars, etc. etc. and finally the computer is flying again.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

Actually jonuk has a point, the APU is unnecessary if you're going to have a discrete graphics card.

mYIGVc5.png

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

If you are wanting to reuse your old motherboard (Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H) the CPU's you can use are limited to APU's for the most part.  Something like the AMD Athlon X4 860K may also work if you are going to use a discrete graphics card.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users