Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore tutorial

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

:thumbsup: I read through the system restore tutorial and that is what I did about a year and a half ago when I bought my toshiba pentium 4, 1.9 ghz, mobile processor notebook.
The restore feature worked for a couple of months, probably about 3 when I really needed it as I was/am a newbie to windows and then it simply kept giving the message "no changes were made to the computer" when I try to do a system restore. This is inspite of the fact that there stiil exists two thirds of the hard drive unused. I have tried to go back to where I have created a restore point before I install a new program as well as to check points that are created...but no luck!!!
I took it to a trusted techie, a personal friend and had it checked for viruses, malware etc. and there was nothing. I run Windows Home edition "xp" that came with the computer and at home am on dial up and use the xp firewall. At work we have a very secure system. I work for an international large corp. and we have several techs that work at the office.
I even took it to the toshiba techie and they found no malware, viruses lurking about. However they did say that a number of people have had problems with system restore and told me to simply shut it off which I had already done at the suggestion of the trusted friend techie. As both of these techies concurred that all the critters can hide in restore points anyway and when you believe you are secure they reinfect. So I have been using my Norton Professional Systemworks which will have the subscription expire in 2005, intermittent use of Panda active scan and trend micro house call, as well as adaware se, a2, spybot, spyware blaster, win patrol, and spysweeper.
I have posted in other areas and I think it was Elder Geek where someone had this same problem.
I simply would like to know if this is a fairly common dilemma?
I don't want to start from scratch again and use the cd's that came with the box. I hope that someone has some comments on this "glitch" that has existed for sometime. Thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

I am not sure that I can provide much help on your situation, but I can tell you a few things based on personal experiences.

There have been a few problems with my system restore functions, and although I could only speculate the reasons, I have not had any problems since I defragged regularly. Based on what I see when it is moving the files around in defrag (yes, I even watch it), I see that if I have not made any restore points, then it(defrag) does not move them(restore files) at all. On a computer that does not defrag on a schedule, I have seen that the System Restore has a greater chance of not working properly. That is not to say that is the case for you-it is purely speculation.

Give System Restore another try. Before you turn it back on, defrag in Safe Mode, restart the computer normally, and turn SR(System Restore) back on. Make a new point, restart the computer, install a small file such as a game or something, and see if your SR can revert it back to its previous state.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

:thumbsup: I find your comments very interesting as before I started having problems with the system restore I was trying to defrag with windows xp defrag program and was really frustrated as the defrag was so slow and it virtually stopped. I took it to a techie that I know and he suggested that I try out Executive software's Diskkeeper which is what I use now. The only thing that I notice is that the files fragment a little faster however I defrag on a regular basis and so I plan on trying your suggestion out of everything I have read and surfed articles on the net, your connection between what happened to me and the xp defrag program seem probably more than a coincidence.
My techie i think i mentioned suggested not to enable as the program does not have all the virtues it is alleged to have.
My problem is that I am a novice and want to be secure that my box is in a safe state and that I don't have to use the cd's that came with the toshiba and start out from scratch as if it came out of the box brand new as it was one and a half years ago.
I have too many new programs and entires in the registry. One comment I got was to do a s/fc/scannow and I don't even know what that will accomplish???
when individuals post I guess they assume the person at the other end is an expert. Thankyou and I will post again of my results.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2004 - 07:50 PM

You can try this reg file, from Kelly's Korner:
Restore/Enable System Restore
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users