Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown infection, possibly KNCTR?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hi all,
I'm back once again with another infection that I can't get rid of & don't know how to despite all my efforts.

This is the problem:
whenever I boot-up, this KNCTR window appears on my desktop with a video screen showing different G-rated videos without any audio. Every now & then, in the video window will be an ad for some of cell phone service.  There's also some other buttons to click.  One of them says  "click here to activate your free phone"

Of course, I recognized this as being just bogus malware and dared not click on anything. There's also a covenient "X" that, surprisingly, actually seems to work.

I've run the following anti-malware tools which helped, but this KNCTR is still there:

ADWcleaner 4.??
Anti Malware by Malwarebytes (Mbam)
AntiSpyware by SUPER AntiSpyware
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Eset 
MiniTool Box

As I said above, these tools helped flush out some of KNCTR's online behaviors, but it's still there on boot-up.

I almost forgot... I tried to uninstall KNCTR in Add/Remove programs in Windows' Contrrol Panel, but it told me that it couldn't 'cause it was already running!   What??? I then looked in Task Manager, but didn't see it <???>

Can anyone help me get rid of this?

Edited by PieLam, 11 December 2014 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hello, Look in the Windows System Tray in the bottom right corner of your screen, next to the clock for the KNCTR icon. Right click on that icon and remove the checkmark by Load on Startup and then select Shutdown. Now go back and Uninstall it.
Run
ADWcleaner 4.??
Anti Malware by Malwarebytes (Mbam)
See how it is.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

boopme, on 11 Dec 2014 - 9:50 PM, said:
Hello, Look in the Windows System Tray in the bottom right corner of your screen, next to the clock for the KNCTR icon. Right click on that icon and remove the checkmark by Load on Startup and then select Shutdown. Now go back and Uninstall it.

Hello, ole friend!!
I found the icon and was then able to uninstall!   :)

Thanx so much, if I'd seen the icon, I may have been able to figure this out, but I didn't see this icon because I have them set to hide "unused icons", actually they're, "seldom used" I didn't know "new" icons would be in there too...

Oh well, live & learn!

Thanx again!!  

Once again BC saved my PC!   :)

I'll also run the tools and report the findings,  I'm anticipating "no threats found".

Edited by PieLam, 12 December 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Good idea post them.... The clue was " I tried to uninstall KNCTR in Add/Remove programs in Windows' Contrrol Panel, but it told me that it couldn't 'cause it was already running! "

That made me think ... Windows system Tray..

Hey good to hear rom you and happy to have helped once more..

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

boopme, on 12 Dec 2014 - 8:22 PM, said:
Good idea post them.... The clue was... Windows system Tray..

I appreciate you & your help!  Even if it was an easy fix, I'm just grateful that KNCTR is gone...!

Hey good to hear rom you and happy to have helped once more..

Good to hear from you too! And I'm sure glad that you're happy to help!   :)

I did run ADWcleaner & MBAM again, but have no logs to post. I deleted them, W/O thinking...  First, I ran ADWcleaner, it found & cleaned a few minor threats, next, I ran MBAM, it didn't find any threats.  That's when I figured my PC is clean...  Seems to be clean to me.  Thanx to you!   :)

PS
Sorry if this is a few days late, I had other family obligations this W/E to attend to.  :|

Edited by PieLam, 15 December 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

No problem ....Take care now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users