Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade mint 17 to 17.1 with apt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

I don't want to d/l and burn 17.1 . How can I upgrade with apt?

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

Mate try here for both GUI-style and Terminal.

Haven't tried it myself yet - do you want to be the guinea pig or shall I?

:wizardball:  Wiz

#3 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:39 AM

I shall volunteer. Wish me luck!

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:04 AM

Phew (saves me renaming my Linux Mint Mate - Tips & Tricks for 17 Qiana)

You might have to startup one for Rebecca? (I might try 'em side by side to compare differences, got heaps of space)

Best of luck and I'll look forward to the outcomes!

:wizardball: Wiz

#5 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:32 AM

if you do not hear back from me at least by tomorrow stating the upgrade was a success then it was a failure. I'm not home and so don't have the media to do are install if this blows my computer.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:33 AM

I don't want to d/l and burn 17.1 . How can I upgrade with apt?

I don't understand bmike, it is included in the new Update Manager under "Edit".  cat1092 explained all this in the Thread about it's release that you participated in.

Edited by pcpunk, 12 December 2014 - 02:39 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:04 AM

Quite right, pcpunk - I had not read Cat's Topic in full. And I haven't used Update Manager before

However, and for bmike1's benefit as well, my Update Manager shows as this:

sbMOQyG.png

Note all the empty space.

But in the article I referred bmike1 to:

eEp8b99.png

That update of Update Manager does not show. I will check into this another time, got tea to cook.

And good luck again , bmike1

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:25 AM

Hmm?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

well.... I did it via terminal and it seems to have worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users