Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Laptop causes router to intermittently disconnect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GardenGuy

GardenGuy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

I have a router which routinely (and reliably) connects 3 or 4 computers, 2 printers and 3 cell phones to the internet.  I brought a computer home and noticed that every time I try to use it online the router will keep disconnecting and  reconnecting.  I literally will not see the router's signal on any of my other devices and even the one computer that is wired to router loses the connection.  What could cause this and how can I fix it?

By the way, if I don't use the new laptop, then everything will work perfectly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop? In Device Manager select your Wireless adapter. Right click and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's. Copy and Paste the first line shown.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

I would make sure the computer you brought home is using normal default networking settings, and that its network driver is the newest available for that device.

I wonder if there are IP conflicts, like if the new laptop is set up with a static IP and its conflicting with dhcp.

#4 GardenGuy

GardenGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thank you both for your replies.  I will try to reply to your messages with more information soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users