Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Install / Recovery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

i have an older laptop with windows xp that i want to wipe and do a fresh install, either that or do a system recovery to set back to default, but windows XP is no longer supported, does that mean all the updates and service packs will be gone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

No, you can still update XP with all SP's and security updates up until support stopped in April.

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

thanks, but im not quite understanding, if support stopped in april how can i do updates?

are you saying if i do a fresh windows xp install i can still receive and install updates?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

Microsoft still supplies all updates to the point it stopped support. You can still download SP3 on the Microsoft website.

Edit: The computer could be a good candidate for linux. How much RAM does it have?

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

Microsoft still supplies all updates to the point it stopped support. You can still download SP3 on the Microsoft website.

Edit: The computer could be a good candidate for linux. How much RAM does it have?

so the computer would not do updates by itself?

i would have to download and install the service packs manually?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

You should be able to do autoupdates. I just pointed out that you can still get the SP's if you want to download them. I can't remember where but I did read that Microsoft will still supply updates but I don't know for how long. There is also a site that supplied all updates post SP3 in an iso but I can't remember where. I will have to do some searching.

Edit: There is even an unofficial SP4.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171171-introducing-unofficial-windows-xp-sp4/

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133918#133918

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

thanks, i guess i will wipe it and see if it updates.....if not i will do it manually,

thanks again for your help :bowdown:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

No problem, post back how it went.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

When doing a clean install...all critical updates up through the latest (Dec 2014) are available via Win/Microsoft Update for XP.

Atthough support officially ended earlier this year...Microsoft continues to provide the Malicious Software Removal Tool on a monthly basis as a critical update for XP.  And there have a couple of other updates which MS has released for XP since the end of official support.

All of these are available for a clean install of XP...at the Windows Update site.

Louis

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

When doing a clean install...all critical updates up through the latest (Dec 2014) are available via Win/Microsoft Update for XP.

Atthough support officially ended earlier this year...Microsoft continues to provide the Malicious Software Removal Tool on a monthly basis as a critical update for XP.  And there have a couple of other updates which MS has released for XP since the end of official support.

All of these are available for a clean install of XP...at the Windows Update site.

Louis

are you saying i can visit the windows update site and my computer will update itself?

or do i need to download and install the service packs?.....if this is the case do i need to install them one by one?.....or can i jump right to service pack 2 or 3?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

You should be able to update as you normally do by going to Windows Update from the start button.

#12 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

You should be able to update as you normally do by going to Windows Update from the start button.

i just tried that a few mins ago, a fresh windows xp install.....it goes to the update website, it gives me the option of express install (recommended) or custom install, i click on express install and i get an error messege......

The website has encountered a problem and can not display the page you are trying to view

error # 0x80244019

how can i be getting errors when this is a new install? :smash:

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

I had the same problem. You will need to install the Windows update agent for XP. What is the SP or your XP?

#14 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

I had the same problem. You will need to install the Windows update agent for XP. What is the SP or your XP?

SP2

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

You need to install SP3 standalone first. After that you should be able to update. If updates still fail after the SP3 update then do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users