Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.E. 11 wont connect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Odd problem here. I can get my email, but for some reason my browser will not let me go to interne sites. I tried resetting I.E. version 11, but no luck. It keeps saying..UNABLE TO OPEN WWW.BING.COM, no connection,etc. I tried uninstalling, and re-installing..I tried running the Microsoft program for repair called FIXIT, still no luck. I have Windows 7, 64 bit. I even switched the CAT cable....no difference. Any ideas on why I cannot go on the internet, but still able to get mail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

Check to make sure your browser is not using a proxy server. To check this follow these steps:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Go to Internet Options

3. Click Connections tab

4. Click LAN Settings button

5. IF there is a check mark in "Use Proxy Server" un-check it and try to browse the web.

If this does not work let us know.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

Did as you directed....still unable to connect. I am running MALWAREBYTES, I cannot update this program since I do not have net access. It found 3 threats..I fixed, restarted...still unable to connect. Thanks again for hangin with me on this!!

*** Tried to scan with Norton and got this error***

Norton Security Suite error: 8504,104. Will not let me scan,etc.

Edited by jake21, 11 December 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

Try booting into Safemode with Networking by pressing F8 repetitively when starting up. After your in safe mode with networking, see if you have internet access and can update the Malwarebytes.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

Booted to safe mode....was able to update MalwareBytes ( found no threats ). Had full internet access when in safe mode. Strange...all good in safe mode, but not in normal power up. Next move and thanks again!!

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Get into safe mode and click your start button and in the search bar (or run if your in XP) and type MSCONFIG. Try disabling all items in the startup tab. Reboot and see if you have internet in normal mode. If yes, one of those items is causing your loss of internet. Good rule of thumb is only enable what you know you need or items that are from trusted companies (IE: Dell, Realtek, HP etc.)

Gavin Seabrook

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

Disabled every thing on the start up....Same error message ....UNABLE TO OPEN WWW.BING.COM.......

~~~~~~ GOT IT WORKING~~~~~~~~

Remember one of my  posts mentioned an error in NORTON? Just on a hunch, I removed the NORTON program, rebooted, and BAM!!! I got internet. I have used NORTON for years....but for some reason, my issue got corrupted and halted any access to Net..once removed...I can get back online...THANKS FOR THE HELP...good lesson for those with similar problem...will keep this post active for a few, then mark solved!!

TIP OF THE HAT TO YA!!!!

Edited by jake21, 12 December 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

Be sure to Install a fresh Anti Virus ....Immediately !

Three Free AV's.....(install only ONE)

Avast

Avira

Comodo Free

Keep an eye on your PC for any weirdness......Norton did not go pear shaped for no reason at all....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

Norton's internet security and protection applications have been known to cause this issue. Uninstalling or disabling that feature usually does the trick.

#10 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users