Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CLASSPNP.SYS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 therealcrazy8

therealcrazy8

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

I have about had it. I am an IT guy and I cannot figure out what the deal is with this. I have done a TON of reading and nothing has helped. Here is my issue...

I have two drives

250GB SSD (C:)

2TB HDD (D:)

For some reason, I don't know why, I shut down my computer one night and when I booted it up the next day I see everything start loading and then it stops at CLASSPNP.SYS. i did some research on this to have some idea of what was going on and how to possibly fix it. Here is something I discovered that just seems odd to me. If I have ONLY the C: drive plugged in, I cant boot up just fine. If I plug the D: drive in also, it gets to the Windows 7 boot screen and sits there FOREVER before it actually boots its way to the desktop. the downside with this is that I have some very large and much needed software that I installed onto the D: drive and now cannot use until this is fixed.

What I have tried:

Overwriting file with one off the Windows CD - I wanted to try anyway

Running the "repair" too from the Windows CD - wouldn't you know it, it didn't even detect that there is an issue.

Ran the Windows CD and did the "upgrade" option - even though it's not an actual upgrade

Boot to command line and run various commands - I don't recall which ones but there aren't to many to try in this situation to fix the issue.

I tried plugging in the D: drive at various stages of booting up the system

I changed some of the BIOS options based on setting I had found that worked for others - Not all setting I found were applicable though

I think that's everything. Now to ask the million dollar question that has been haunting me in my dreams...HOW DO I FIX THIS?

This isn't just a "I want this fixed since it's broken" type issue. This is a "I need this fixed" type issue. Not to mention I am at my wits end trying to figure this out since nothing is working.

Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

If the 2TB drive is an external drive...let us know.

If it's an internal drive, the best thing that you can do is to connect it to another system and move any valued data files from the drive, as a first step.  If the drive cannot be read properly on another system...you have pinpointed the problem.

IME...Windows may have a problem booting properly if any attached drive has problems.  Proper hardware recognition doesn't take place, causing Windows to stall in its boot effort.

Louis

#3 therealcrazy8

therealcrazy8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

It is an internal. Sorry for missing that detail. On that note, I have the side panels on my tower off which exposes the connection end of the drives for me. One thing I did try was I had a USB-to-SATA that used to be inside an external drive. I decided to plug that into the HDD and then plug USB from that to the computer. Essentially my tower was just holding the drive for me while I was doing all of this. I plugged the USB into the front USB port (and I tried back) and Windows saw nothing. I don't recall if these "converters" have a built in size limit on what size drive they support or not. I think the drive it came from was 500MB.

I do have one question in regards to recovering data from the potential problematic drive. I know that when it comes to programs you typically can just move those types of files form one drive to another, at least this has been my experience, but considering these programs are installed  on a different drive that is not the C: drive and that other drive doesn't have windows installed on it, would this be an exception to the rule? Could I in fact move all program files off this D: drive and onto another drive (designated as the D: drive) without any issues?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

When you install any program...there are two parts to such.  The files for that program....and the registry entries for that program.  The registry entries will be within Windows, regardless of where you install program files.

You cannot successfully run a program without either.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users