Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

I am trying to install Win 8.1 to Win 8.0 due to a re-install, I am getting a message to install updates, I have upgraded completely, there are no more upgrades available. Still told to install upgrades, re-booted 3x's no good. Help!. T.I.A. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tommy39

tommy39

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:07 AM

try turning updates off,and  rebooting

,this worked for me

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

Updates and upgrades are different. There are constant updates.

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Updates and upgrades are different. There are constant updates.

Sorry meant updates.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hello.

This link below was the best of the bunch, and Never dovnload it from a 3rd party site (like CNET or similar).

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Windows Help

Thank you -

#6 Kdockler

Kdockler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

I did the forced upgrade to Windows 8.1 on my ASUS laptop that was purchased last year preinstalled with Windows 8.0.   I received the new Start screen the first night 11 Dec 14 after a supposedly successful "upgrade."   I don't believe I touched my laptop on 12 Dec 14.  Last night, I tried several times to use it, and it kept telling me to wait while it was installing an important update.  Some hours into it, It hung on an update for a program I don't recognize, it began with something like "stream2..." and I want to say "stream2cloud."  That is a real problem because I did the custom install and unchecked anything to do with the cloud.  However, I recall also a loss of intelligence when I checked the box for critical and important updates.  Normally I only include required updates in my setup. 

Now it is the 14th, and I believe I spent 4 hours last night and 3 today looking at the stupid screen it was stuck yesterday during another insane number of "updates."  The screen is completely grey with a orange cancel button, and where the little circles are not turning or not showing at all and the cancel button does not work. 

I have restarting several times.  The first several times it changed the options to "update and restart" and "update and shutdown (or whatever)."  Now it no longer says "update and" with the restart or shutdown options, just restart or shutdown. 

The grey screen does not allow for another program to draw over it.  For example in the 20 or so times I attempted to run the Task Manager program, it draws in the background.  If I use the button with the four-colored flag to get the desktop, I get only the taskbar at the bottom where I can see the program running.  If I hover over the button on the task bar I can see the Task Manager program screen saying there are no apps running, but if I try to click anywhere on the screen to get into the program, it returns to the grey screen doing nothing.  Same with Computer Panel, Run, etc.  I can't access anything on the computer and hours later, it doesn't stop and apparently the computer thinks it is doing nothing.  I can't use the computer at all. 

I was never able to reset my virus program, I forgot the first night to verify it was running.  I noticed the icon wasn't in the tray, so I popped in the disk last night and it verified nothing suspicious but even that program would not allow me to enter, only see the message pass on the screen backed by this grey, frozen screen.  My network is personal and I am using the same virus program on my desktop, which thankfully, is working. 

Help, oh great and powerful... 

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hello.

This link below was the best of the bunch, and Never dovnload it from a 3rd party site (like CNET or similar).

Thank you -

I re-installed again, I am using my own Win 7 disk, none came with the computer. This has always worked in the past. Now after installing my Win 8 disk and trying to download all updates, upon booting, it is showing a message that the downloads did not download correctly and is reverting.Whereas when I try to upgrade to Win 8.1 in Store, get the message that I need to install upgrades. Try again , same thing.  Never happened before. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

#8 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hello.

Thank you -

I re-installed again, I am using my own Win 7 disk, none came with the computer. This has always worked in the past. Now after installing my Win 8 disk and trying to download all updates, upon booting, it is showing a message that the downloads did not download correctly and is reverting.Whereas when I try to upgrade to Win 8.1 in Store, get the message that I need to install upgrades. Try again , same thing.  Never happened before. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Tried a clean boot, after updating, the boot-up says "installing updates", then" updates incorrect reverting". and all are erased, back to square one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users