Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex, what PSU?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

I bought a Dell Optiplex motherboard (E93839 GA0403) about two years ago.  I suddenly have the urge to build a computer around it, but I'm having trouble finding out what kind of power supply it needs.

The onboard connectors are a 4-pin (white) located on the right side, and a 24-pin (black) near the far left. I am only familiar with the ATX psu connectors, and this one is smaller. Next to it, on the board, are the words "micro pwr."  If you post an answer, please include pictures????dell-e93839-ga0403-lga775-socket-motherb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Any PSU today should be able to power this device. You main ATX connector should come with any new age PSU and the white "Aux Power" connector is standard in all powersupplies now adays. Heck, my motherboard requires an 8Pin Aux and a 6 Pin. Dang x99.....

I would say for this board you can get any generic/brand name PSU rated at about 500 Watt.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

You can buy a standard atx power supply but i believe you will need one of these for that board (EXAMPLE): http://www.amazon.com/Supply-Connector-Adapter-Slimline-MotherBorad/dp/B007YA18RS

The 4 pin looks standard but DOUBLE CHECK that the 24 pin and 4pin layout from the original dell psu are the same as the pin layout of the new psu and adapter cables, I am not sure if dell did anything strange with it, they might have a few pins that differ.

You might be able to find a more specific cable than the one I posted for your specific model dell motherboard. What version Optiplex was it example 980, 3020, etc?

Edited by zingo156, 12 December 2014 - 10:07 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 supermaltese

supermaltese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

I' not sure what model Optiplex. By searching the internet for pictures of Dell Optiplex 780, I was able to find one that looks like mine from the back, but then when I look at the top of board, the power connector is different. According to the pdf I found from Dell, with Dell Optiplex 780 technical specs, this motherboard is the DT or desktop...200DY.JPG

But, other images I've on image searches and on eBay, seem to indicate that the small black psu connector is either SFF or USFF not ATX.  I will be buying one online and cannot test this before purchase. Many of the Optiplex PSU's I see online are $70+ while low-end ATX PSU' start around $18.  If I buy the wrong PSU, I'll never have a use for it.

#5 supermaltese

supermaltese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

Sorry for using other people's images, but both of those are exactly how mine appears. Notice from the PDF, that it shows the outside connectors in a side view. The arrangement of vga, serial port, parallel port, 6 usb ports, etc, are exactly the same

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

Are you getting a new case?

From what I have read, dell is using a non standard pin out for some of their connectors but again, verify this, a standard atx psu will work with the adapter I posted but you may have to move pins in the adapter. A few things to read about the 980 below, (The 780 may be different that is why I would recommend looking at the pinout yourself) I never trust anything but my own eyes with electrical wiring when it comes to non standard connections:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285884-28-dell-optiplex-power-connector

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1538917

Edited by zingo156, 12 December 2014 - 11:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 supermaltese

supermaltese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

ah. slap myself in the forehead. i've used adapters for other things. adapter much cheaper than buying an Optiplex-specific micro psu. thanks!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:49 AM

Dell make fairly good computers but they really don't like you fitting generic replacement parts to them !  If you buy a Dell PSU you will almost certainly need a Dell case, or else get out the drill and files and start some butchery on a standard case to get a Dell PSU to fit.

I recently had an elderly Dell on my hands with PSU problems. In my innocence I pulled a spare ATX PSU out of the cupboard to discover that Dell had relocated the power input socket and the on/off switch. Since this computer had other problems it was decided to scrap it. As has been said above, use an adapter but check the pin-out very carefully before you actually connect and power up - a multi-meter would be veery useful here.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

Also make sure your new case has the proper connectors for the power, reset, led and other buttons for the new case. Sometimes Dell motherboards have compatibility with certain cases :/

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users