Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This computer is not running genuine Windows popup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hey guys, freshly installed workstation here at the office.. Everything went smooth, building, setup, installation etc...

Last night, I started the updates before I went home for the night, but this morning I came in and I'm plagued with the "This computer is not running genuine Windows" popup.

I've already checked very thoroughly for infection on the system, there is none, it is perfectly safe. The only installed products are Adobe Reader, Norton Security and Office 2013 Home and Student, which were all done from the trusted sources. Also, I've investigated the legitimacy of the popup, and it is the correct one from Microsoft, but I'm not sure why this is coming up.

Its activated in the computer properties window, and the CoA was brand new in a sealed ziplock bag like they always come. Has anyone ever encountered this before and may be able to help me figure this out? The computer goes out tomorrow!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

People have reported update KB3004394 can cause this problem because it screws up the root certificates. It was a very bad update that Microsoft has already pulled.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-kb3004394-issues/ace25277-7f65-4486-bc44-c1b106907a18

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/682757-read-me-kb3004394-breaks-everything

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2346507  

See post by Cassandra

#3 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, trying it now. Do I just remove the update or is there anything else I'd do? Besides the obvious

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

I would remove the update but if that does not solve the problem then you may have to reinstall the OS and make sure that update does not get installed. Edit: Which is the obvious I guess. :-)

Edit: Did you install the updates all in one go? If not, there may be a restore point before your last update.

Edit Edit: You do have to worry about this update as it has now been pulled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#5 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

The update actually was there, the system probably had it installed on the ghost drive that I use to install new systems. We build them all uniform here so it saves a lot of time doing this, but then after it's built the system receives a brand new CoA to activate them. I pulled the update and rebooted, the PC hasn't had the popup so far, even when checking optional updates. Thanks very much JohnC_21!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users