Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Replacing internal HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NipNip1964_*

Guest_NipNip1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Internal HDD: Samsung ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA) - 1TB

Hello - as a novice I wonder if someone could kindly give me step-by-step advice on how to replace the internal HDD please?

The current HDD makes a loud 'click' sound occasionally, and I fear that it may not last much longer.  I have never replaced any component before, but I have done the following in anticipation: made a System Image using Windows to an external USB HDD, created a Windows 8.1 recovery drive on a 16GB USB 'stick', and identified the access cover and connectors to the HDD.

I assume I have to physically replace the HDD, then after power-on somehow access the BIOS/UEFI to change the boot order such that it boots from the recovery drive.  Will this recovery drive allow me to transfer the system image from the external HDD to the new internal HDD?  What other steps do I need to take?

Any help much appreciated!  Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

replacing the hard drive itself is fairly easy, there should be a panel on the bottom of your laptop that is screwed in, remove the screws, then the hard drive will be screwed down to a bracket. remove the bracket, then the drive will slide out, then you simply put the new drive in, and replace the bracket and the cover. pretty straightforward. (make sure you do this on a non static surface and ground yourself before touching any components) Usually between 2-6 screws for the cover, and between 2-6 screws on the bracket (by bracket, Its usually two pieces of thin metal held together by a clear piece of plastic, 2 screws to hold the bracket in place on the laptop, and 4 holding the bracket onto the hard drive)

reinstalling the OS is somewhat more difficult. The recovery "drive" is actually a recovery "partition" on the existing drive, and it will be removed. I see you have made a recovery drive on the stick-which is good. Now, if the engineer who designed the laptop had any lick of sense, all you should have to do is insert the USB drive, and turn it on, and it should boot up off of it. However, seeing as computer manufactuers, especially dell, are not well known for having any sort of common sense, you may have to access the BIOS (usually F12 or the DEL key, but may also be the f2 or f8) and find the boot order, and change it so the USB device is at the top of the list. beyond that, windows should guide you through it step by step.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Guest_NipNip1964_*

Guest_NipNip1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:25 AM

Many thanks the_patriot11 - that is nice and clear.  Will order a new HDD!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

To add to the_patriot's instructions - YouTube !

If you go onto YouTube and search for 'Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 hard drive' you will almost certainly find a video showing you how to do it, even which screws to undo and anything else to watch out for.

It's not just kittens and babies !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Guest_NipNip1964_*

Guest_NipNip1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:56 AM

Thanks Chris Cosgrove

You are certainly right - I did a search for exactly that and found a nice little video detailing the physical removal/replacement of the HDD.  And not a kitten or baby in sight!

:)

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a video worth ?

Joking aside, YouTube is a treasure house of instructional videos on almost every subject under the sun. Glad you found a useful one.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users