I have looked for all kinds of fixes online. Many people have had this problem, but the fixes don't work for me.
My HP laptop (Win 7 64) restarted to install updates and when it booted back my Taskbar & Start Menu had disappeared. All there was onscreen was a blue background (instead of wallpaper and desktop icons) and an open window of Windows Explorer. Explorer.exe is running in the Task Manager (I've restarted it just in case but nothing changed). I can browse through my system using the Explorer and I can use the New Task on the Task Manager.
I have access to Control Panel, RegEdit, Windows Explorer, CMD prompt, etc. I can access all my programs from the Explorer.
Besides the issues mentioned, I have discovered this too:
- I have an up to date Avira AV, but now when I try to run a scan it won't show it to me onscreen, even though I can see the process running in the Task Manager.
- My touchpad works (moving the cursor and clicking) but I can't scroll up/down with 2 fingers anymore.
- In Control Panel I can go into different parts of it EXCEPT Folder Options (in Appearance and Personalization). It just won't open.
- Laptop is considerably slower, laggier.
So far, I've tried:
- Closing and restarting Explorer.exe (in Normal and Safe Mode) from the New Task option on Task Manager.
- SFC /scannow
- MS Windows Malicious Sofware Removal Tool has been running for about 9 hours (it's at 50%) and so far hasn't found anything, but I'm not holding my breath.
I think this has malware written all over it, but can't think of a way to detect it or fix it.
Thanks for any help.
Edited by PeskyPony, 11 December 2014 - 12:46 PM.