Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 - Taskbar/StartMenu/Desktop icons disappeared (Blue Background)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PeskyPony

PeskyPony

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

I have looked for all kinds of fixes online. Many people have had this problem, but the fixes don't work for me.

My HP laptop (Win 7 64) restarted to install updates and when it booted back my Taskbar & Start Menu had disappeared. All there was onscreen was a blue background (instead of wallpaper and desktop icons) and an open window of Windows Explorer. Explorer.exe is running in the Task Manager (I've restarted it just in case but nothing changed). I can browse through my system using the Explorer and I can use the New Task on the Task Manager.

I have access to Control Panel, RegEdit, Windows Explorer, CMD prompt, etc. I can access all my programs from the Explorer.

Besides the issues mentioned, I have discovered this too:

- I have an up to date Avira AV, but now when I try to run a scan it won't show it to me onscreen, even though I can see the process running in the Task Manager.

- My touchpad works (moving the cursor and clicking) but I can't scroll up/down with 2 fingers anymore.

- In Control Panel I can go into different parts of it EXCEPT Folder Options (in Appearance and Personalization). It just won't open.

- Laptop is considerably slower, laggier.

So far, I've tried:

- Closing and restarting Explorer.exe (in Normal and Safe Mode) from the New Task option on Task Manager.

- SFC /scannow

- MS Windows Malicious Sofware Removal Tool has been running for about 9 hours (it's at 50%) and so far hasn't found anything, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think this has malware written all over it, but can't think of a way to detect it or fix it.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by PeskyPony, 11 December 2014 - 12:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PeskyPony

PeskyPony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

I didn't get any help for this, but if anybody with the same problem is reading, I got it fixed.
After more than 19 hours MS Windows Malicious Sofware Removal Tool finally finished scanning, I restarted the computer and now everything is back to normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users