Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems (i Think)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nexxus

Nexxus

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:45 AM

My hard drive seems to stop working when trying to copy large files (dvd-movies) to my harddrive. When trying to copy a DvD from the disk to the harddrive It will get to around 54% and it stops writing. My computer doesn't lock up or anything its just as if my hard drive just quits writing.

I have 19gig free space and have checked the power settings to make sure my hard drive is always on.

I recently bought a new DvD burner (benq1655) and I'm using DvD-Cloner III to copy Movies. I havn't had any trouble copying small movies ( around 5 gb), but on movies around 7+ I have problems It only copies abouat half of the movie to the hard drive before it gives up and does nothing. I've even left my computer on all night to see if anything would happen but it never starts up again.

-I use a Seagate Baracuda Hard Drive (a few months old) 80 gig.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi Nexxus.
I do not think the problem is hardware related but rather the method you're using or DvD-Cloner III itself.
I have run across similar issues with similar software in which large files that would normally require burning to DVD9 (DL) media, simply will not copy directly to the hardrive. If you had dual burners you could simply burn directly from one drive to the other without an issue.
Try this app, it is freeware. It should work.

Edited by HitSquad, 19 June 2006 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Nexxus

Nexxus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, I will give this a try and let you know what happens.

#4 Nexxus

Nexxus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

It seems to work, do you know of any good software to shrink DvD files to fit on a regular D5 disk? I heard someone say DvD-Shrink, but I want to know of thats the best.

What I'm trying to do is keep the disk exactly the same. I want to keep the menu and I still want to be able to play the DvDs on regular DvD players.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hi again nexxus.
I use shrink myself but only to a certain point.
I don't like the menus, extra scenes and all that stuff. I just want to watch the main movie.
Shrink will reduce a large dvd burn down to single layer (dvd5) disc but you will lose quality.
As a basic rule for me, any movie longer then 135 minutes (about 5gb) goes on dual layer (dvd9) disc.
To answer your question, yes, shrink will make a 7gb compilation fit on a single layer disc but the quality will suck. It's like putting 10 pounds of s*** in a 5 pound bag. :thumbsup:

#6 Nexxus

Nexxus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:48 PM

Thanks again for all the information! I will give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users