Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On-Screen Keyboard Doesn't Work, Can't Login

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fighters4Life

Fighters4Life

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

I use the On-Screen Keyboard. The reason is my brother threw a wooden portrait frame at my laptop, breaking my 1, 3, Q, T, U, and J keys. Those keys are part of my password, and I use them to type documents, and now a fan fiction, nearly every day. Usually I have no problem bringing the OSK up, but now, for the first time I do. I am at the login screen, clicking on Ease of Access, and the On-Screen Keyboard does not turn on. I tried checking all the boxes, and only High Contrast, Filter Keys and Sticky Keys turn on. My system is a Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit. I suspect two possible causes: one is I shut down my computer instead of restarting it just before installing updates (I was gone to a party), and two is some random guy who harassed me on a chat website could have hacked my computer. Please help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

do you have a usb keyboard to another computer in your house? if so id try using that

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

Are you getting any error messages when it doesn't open?

If not try this to see if you get an error message:

Start menu/All Programs/Accessories/Ease of Access/On Screen Keyboard.

You might get an error message. If you do, post the entire error.

OSK is not opening for me when I go directly to Ease of Access. No error message.

When I try from Start menu I do get an error.

edit to add: did you install any  of the most recent Windows updates? There is a possibilty that one of them could have caused the issue.

There is another topic here at Bleeping Computer which mentions on screen keyboard stopped working after updating. No replies to that topic as of now  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559401/a-referral-was-returned-from-the-server/

Updates on my systerm were installed yesterday, however I don't know if the OSK was working before the update installation.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 December 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#4 Fighters4Life

Fighters4Life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

I can't log in period. I have no access to the OSK during the login. It doesn't load, but no error message.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Ok, I understand what you are saying now.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 December 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Fighters4Life

Fighters4Life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Like I said, keys on my keyboard are broken, so I can't login. I don't have a USB keyboard, but I'll definetly consider buying one.

#7 konkurada

konkurada

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

I am the poster from the other thread. I thought it worth mentioning that I also tried accessing the osk on the windows log-in screen where it returned no error but failed to run. It seems likely we have the same issue.

#8 Fighters4Life

Fighters4Life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

Can you even operate a USB keyboard on the Start menu? If not, I'll get someone to service my computer. I don't want to waste my money.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:26 PM

KB3004394 update may be the culprit. I wanted to uninstall the recent updates one by one, then try the on screen keyboard.

The first one I uninstalled was KB3004394. After a reboot, the keyboard opened.

At some point I will be asked to install the update. When I do I will check the keyboard again to see what happens.

What do you mean "operate a USB keyboard on the Start menu?"
The keyboard has nothing to do with the using the start menu. You will still have to use your mouse or trackpad to open programs.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 December 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#10 Fighters4Life

Fighters4Life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

Then how do I login? And I meant if it can be used without all that install jazz.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

Plug your USB keyboard into a USB port. If your computer is not on, turn it on.

I don't know if Windows will see it as a new device and install the driver software before you can log on. Someone else might know. Only way to find out is to try it. After you plug it in, wait a few minutes to give drivers time to install if it can be done before you log in.

Normally you will see that Windows detected a new device, is installing drivers, your device is ready to use when you are already on your desktop.

edit to add: I will turn my computer off, hook up a USB keyboard, turn it on and see what happens.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 December 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

That did not take long.

After turning off my laptop, hooking up the keyboard and rebooting I was able to use the keyboard to log in to my user account WITHOUT waiting a few minutes. It worked right off the bat.

It may work without you having to turn the laptop off then on.

When you are able to get signed in you can either run "System File Checker" checker to repair missing or corrupt files in your system: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929833

OR uninstall KB3004394 update to see if you get the same results I did.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 December 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

Straight from Windows Update:

Install KB3024777 to fix an issue with KB3004394:

The KB 3004394 update that was dated December 10, 2014 can cause additional problems on computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the inability to install future updates. This new update is available to remove KB 3004394 from your computer.

#14 Fighters4Life

Fighters4Life
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Success! My USB keyboard fixed my problem and I installed the update. All programs now function. However, when I type certain letters on my actual keyboard, they come up as something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users