Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I still want an XP taskbar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm sorting photos.  I have Irfan viewer open.  I need to open another photo.  But I can't open another Irfan because the stupid Windows 7 taskbar doesn't keep the program icons constant like XP did.

Oh yeah, I can open another Irfan.  Just open a menu under the occupied tab and click the link.

Right, instead of the link just being there, I have to pry up a rock to get to it, and oh by the way the item that I have to click on is right next to the item that removes the program icon completely.  So if I miss, it's gone.

If anyone has developed an XP style taskbar for 7, or if there is one hidden somewhere in 7, I would be terribly grateful to hear about it.

PS Yes, I've talked about this before.  The difference is that now I'm asking for the better taskbar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

Try this http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-the-Windows-7-taskbar-act-like-the-pre/

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

"Windows 7 taskbar doesn't keep the program icons constant like XP did"  I am not sure what you mean but you can pin icons to the taskbar.

When you open Infranview and the icon appears on the Windows 7 taskbar, you can right click the icon and select pin to taskbar.

Once the icons are pinned you can set the location of an icon by dragging it.

Edit:  Andrei_V has your answer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#4 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

As I continue to research this, I think that what I want isn't a taskbar, what I want is something called Quick Launch.  The little box of constant, unchanging, undisappearing program icons off the left end of the taskbar.

Thanks for the responses.  I'll try a few of the methods and see which one does what I want.  People who write these instructions throw around jargon that I don't understand, so sometimes I can't tell if what they're describing is what I want.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

Try this. You can change the icons to small if you wish.

#6 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

I did. It doesn't work.  There is a version of this method at a site called AskVG that does seem to have worked, though.

The problem with the Microsoft Method, and the sites that copied it, is that you have to unlock something during the sequence of operations -- which they don't mention in the instructions, so the instructions don't work.

So I might have something workable.  I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks

#7 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

Oh, and Halledamnlullia, I can double-decker the taskbar after doing this ! ! !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users