Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Asus G74 SX Gaming Laptop Freezes; HDD Works Fine!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deandome

deandome

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

Hoping you can help me determine what the problem is; I'm 99% sure it's NOT the drive, because it works fine on my other computer...

About 3 days ago, my computer started freezing up; cursor wouldn't move, CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't do anything...nothing to do but hard shutdowns.  At first it happened after about 60 seconds of use, then it got to the point it wouldn't even boot up...the screen would be dark gray/black; not "off", but as if it was displaying a solid black image.  This was random...sometimes you'd reach the logon screen, sometimes not.  Also, sometimes the fan would kick into a really high speed, but there was no heat coming out...the computer wasn't warmed up at all.  BTW, battery was fully charged, and I experimented with "AC brick plugged in" and "not plugged in"..that didn't change anything.

When you could reach it, logging in w/safe mode didn't change it...it would still freeze within 60-90 seconds.  After 30-40 tries (what happened on startup was sporadic, so I was hoping I could get it going at least once)...I put it aside for the night.  Next day, it launches up GREAT!!!!  I open up & start to backup some photos to my external drive...it's working for about 4 minutes...then it freezes.  Then it's right back where it was the night before, so I remove the drive, put it in a case & plug it into my desktop via USB, I get full access & backup all my files fine.  BUT, before I did that, I plugged the USB into the laptop & it actually took me to the screen where you can choose safe modes or normal...I click safe mode, the little bar-graph at the bottom is at about 70% of loading the system...then it freezes (before Windows even opens!!).

So I think I'm at the point where it's either the motherboard, CPU or the power supply (but that's ON the motherboard, isn't it?).  Motherboards are $200-300 on ebay...definitely worth it at this point vs. ponying up $1300 for a new G-series.  But is there any way for me to verify exactly what the problem is?  Could it be something OTHER than the motherboard?  I'm thinking I might be able to pull some dump logs or other logs off the drive, if that helps (which ones??).  But I tried that early on, when I was getting 60 seconds of access before it froze, and most of the errors were about the hard shutdowns...I couldn't see anything that looked like an 'underlying cause'.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this!!

Edited by deandome, 11 December 2014 - 09:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

I guess it is overheating

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users