Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorite anti-virus, anti-malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

I have learned the most about security from this site. Right now , I am using 3 different products to protect my laptop. First of all, I use Norton Internet Security for my anti virus, It does a good job for me. The product that I am most impressed by now is Super Anti Spyware, I tried a free full 15 day trial, that has real protection, scheduled scans, and you can set everything how you like, when it reverted to a free device, I really missed it. So, I signed up for a year, got a great deal 9.99 for a year of full protection. It is not a Anti virus, it is an anti-malware program, so It does not interfere with Norton or vice versa. Finally, I have a free security patch program called Secunia, use version 2,lets you know that everything is working right or not. 3 good programs, plus coming here for advice, and I feel pretty safe in this wild world of the internet.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

My personal favortites, and what I recommend to my customers, are Avast! Free(http://www.avast.com/en-us/index) for anti-virus and Malwarebytes Anti Malware (https://www.malwarebytes.org/) for, well, malware removal.

If a customer brings in a reallt infected machine, then I tend to use Kaspersky Antivirus Rescue disc (http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/rescuedisk/) or HitmanPro (http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/)

Very few virus/malware/adware problems I've not seen stopped by those. As a side note, Avast has gotten *really* bloated (like Norton and McAfee) for the default installation, and I usually install only the file shield, leaving out the rest. Makes it lean and fast while still providing excellent protection.

#3 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

I was a avast user before,but the recent 2015 version uses a lot of RAM despite of installing only two shields and none of the other features.So i left it.Right now I use MSE for real time protection (and that is my favourite,I have used this before and never got infected,so I don't care what others say) and MBAM free hitman pro for on demand scanning.Windows 7 inbuilt firewall for firewall purpose.But the two things which play the biggest role in keeping my laptop safe is sandboxie free+Titan1's common senses 2015 platinum edition.That is,simple,minimalistic yet quite effective.

Edited by titan1, 12 December 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall, anti-malware and other security programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment in order to find the combination which works best and is most suitable for your needs. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing my anti-virus software.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I also recommend the following to supplement the above and for additional security:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users