Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"A referral was returned from the server"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 konkurada

konkurada

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hey there. I very recently let windows update itself. Immediately after this update I was unable to launch the on-screen keyboard (or any other programs from the ease of access folder for that matter) receiving an error stating "C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe, a referral was returned from the server."

I have tried using system restore to bring the computer back to just before I had updated, but received a message stating that certain changes could not be made and that it was likely caused by an anti-virus. I then disabled all forms of anti-virus software on the computer and attempted another system restore resulting in the same failure and same error message. I read a post somewhere that this error was due to the "cryptographic service" not running, then followed a tutorial on restarting that. Thus far nothing has worked. Any and all help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hello there,

You could use "System File Checker" checker to repair missing or corrupt files in your system: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929833

Keep us posted! 

#3 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

I came across that same suggestion in a few other threads from various sites. Just recently ran the SFC and received a message stating that there were corrupted files but that windows could not repair some of them. This is the same result reported by all other attempts I've seen at the same thing. Will be restarting soon to allow the process to finish and see what happens.

#4 konkurada

konkurada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

As of using the system file checker and restarting windows I can say that my problem has been solved. I am no long receiving this error and my ease of access programs are running as intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users