Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:17 AM

:thumbsup: I still have not installed the SP2 service pack as my 6 other colleagues are still with quirks on their notebooks and I am still humming along. I use the custom install for updates and use norton professional systemworks, a2, adaware se, spybot, spyware blaster, spysweeper and intermittently panda stand alone active scan as well as trend micros house call. Continue to use the xp firewall that came with home edition and am on dialup at home. At work I am protected by our techies set up.
My boss continues to ask me to wait awhile yet before installation as i am the only one the majority of times that is motoring along at work without struggling to resolve a problem with our techie. As I mentioned I have windows home edition and xp operating system, don't use the computer for games and do not do a lot of personal e-mailing.
Just wanted opinions on the fact that I am hanging back on installation. Thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:57 AM

Never do it! It will ruin your browsers! When you try to get rid of it your browser will stop all together! Im trying to remove it but the only way is too do a xp reinstall!

It aint as good as they made it out to be!

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:14 PM

Just wanted opinions on the fact that I am hanging back on installation. Thankyou

I think it's nice to hear of someone having few problems. A case of "whatever works, do it". :thumbsup: SP2 install should be done, if/when it is, with everything off, including system restore & browsers. Its seems to be the firewalls that can foul up the system-wide changes SP2 does. It is, after all, a cumulative patch including 40+ of 'em in additional to several modifications to the default status of starting services & so it involves hundreds of registry key changes. Some software written to run without those patches doesn't run well in the newer "tightened up" environment.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:48 PM

You really think it should be installed it has caused nothing but trouble for me! I didnt stop restore though before I did it but I did do a full reinstall of xp first! Hum..........I just have all the luck!

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

You really think it should be installed

Yes, I do. Two months of experimenting & a lotta thinking has led me to that conclusion. First comes the OS, then the programs using the OS. Experimenting with them would logically be the next step. If they don't work, then you either keep them & scrap the OS or vice-versa. Goin' back to the days when your programs worked at the expense of the updated OS may be a perfectly legit option, but not the best one. Consider the actions taken by Microsoft, software writers everywhere & cracks, too. Every day from now on. :flowers:

Would ya' put the cart b4 the horse, fill it with stuff, and then wonder if you could find a horse to pull it? :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 27 November 2004 - 07:12 PM.

#6 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

:thumbsup: I really appreciate the dialogue here. What I glean from all of this is that when I go it I believe I should get a knowlegeable techie to do it for me and probably "Ghost" my box via my Norton Professional Systemworks so that I have my present settings etc. copied.
What I understand from this and please correct me if I am mistaken is that a lot of future programs, updates etc. will likely assume that one has updated to SP2 and those programs, updates etc. may not function properly. And this could cause problems.
Right now I am only on dial-up and thus only use the xp firewall and have not had problems to date. Of course I do not do a lot of surfing as my notebook is primarily for work. What comments is there in respect of the SP2 firewall is it sufficient for dial up for an individual who doesn't do a lot of surfing, downloading of music etc.
i would appreciate suggestions. i don't plan on doing anything until the new year as i don't want to be like my colleagues who now let their boxes run their life in order that they can work and that means spending weekends when one has family committments :flowers: <- <-( my co-workers interpretation of them by their families as they sit all weekend trying to figure out why certain things that worked before won't now) and I get assignments at work to do and can complete them and they are putting in overtime and producing no results.
Thankyou.

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:47 AM

Microsoft released the winXP in 2001, I think. It needed patches. a lot of 'em. After while, they rolled all those patches together and created a Service Pack that contained all previous patches and then some. So, lets say you bought winXP as an upgrade to your win98 in 2002. Ya' load it and it already needs a service pack. So, you do it. From 2002-2004 they keep patching it.
Lets say my system crashes a few times during all those months. Or I simply decide to start fresh. No Ghost, but I do have all the files I created during that time on CD's that I periodically burn. All the mp3's, all the data, all the downloads, and files of all the bookmarks/favorites. Everything except all the program files loaded into the OS, and all of it's files.

To reformat, creating new partition(s) and wiping the hard drive clean so I can reload I must start with the OS discs. It's 2001: A Time Odyssey each time, because I start back where I began and must update from there. I'm not alone in this fact of life. I documented the process in August, right before SP2 was available in general distribution. Heres the reality of updates to winXP:

8-16-04
7:13:00 pm winxp pro installation & System Restore Checkpoint set automatically.
8-17-04
1:49 am installed winxp SP1 from (CD) and immediately went online to windows update. At that time it was "v4". It has changed to "v5" since then. It recognizes the fact that sp1 is installed and "reads" from that which updates my pC lacks to be current security-wise. It automatically begins with the critical updates and goes from there forward, allowing me choices regarding several updates. To get current I needed 31 of 'em.

my Add or Remove Programs List shows the actions taken successfully as:
Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP
HighMat Extension to Microsoft Windows XP CD Writing Wizard
Internet Explorer Q 876801
Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1
Microsoft Data Access Components KB 870669
Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer
Outlook Express Q 823353
Windows Media Player Hotfix see KB 837272 for more info
Windows Media Player Hotfix see Q 828026 for more info
Windows XP Hotfix KB 820291
" " " KB 821253
" " " KB 822603
" " " KB 823182
" " " KB 824105
" " " KB 824141
" " " KB 825119
" " " KB 826939
" " " KB 826942
" " " KB 828035
" " " KB 828741
" " " KB 835732
" " " KB 839643
" " " KB 839645
" " " KB 840315
" " " KB 840374
" " " KB 841873
" " " KB 842773
Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) see KB 810243 for more info
" " " " Q 322011
" " " " Q 327979
" " " " Q 814995
" " " " Q 819696
A total of 31 patches & updates to the operating system since SP1

I installed the Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Suite since I use Excel, Word, Access & related office tools. Back to Windows Update for Office Updates
Office 2000 Professional SP3
KB 830347
KB 830349
Office 2000 Update 12-18-02
KB 824993
KB 826292
KB 822035
Seven more patches.

Then, I loaded the only SP2 available in August, a download from a microsoft tech site: WindowsXP KB 835935-SP2-ENU.exe
Add or Remove Programs List changed to look like this:
HighMat Extension to Microsoft WindowsXP CD Writing Wizard 2.14 MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 36.83 MB
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional 291.00 MB
Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer 3.59 MB
Windows Service Pack 2

This is because the SP2 is cumulative in nature... providing all patches since the release of winXPpro.
If you stay with SP1 that is what you are missing unless you have been staying current. That is what you'll need if you reload for any good reason.

The SP2 CD in wide distribution makes it easy. A couple new patches have been issued since it hit the streets.

What I understand from this and please correct me if I am mistaken is that a lot of future programs, updates etc. will likely assume that one has updated to SP2 and those programs, updates etc. may not function properly. And this could cause problems.

For several years you use programs written for winXP, but winXP keeps changing. Some of those programs do also, but are you getting each new improvement? To be honest, the original winXP does not operate the same as today's version. Its that simple.

Right now I am only on dial-up and thus only use the xp firewall and have not had problems to date.

Several years worth of malware is readily available online, though. It still works. Dialup or any other connection. The XP firewall has limitations that I don't want to type about right now. Using another firewall instead of it will give you several benefits. Use the wrong one, considering the other programs you might be using & it will create the kinds of problems often associated with SP2. Conflicts. Some just plain work better than others. I don't know which one is right for you.

an individual who doesn't do a lot of surfing, downloading of music etc.

As long as the etc. means you know what you're doin' everytime you do it, with everything you do it with on your PC, offline & online... you'll be OK. I don't always.

...trying to figure out why certain things that worked before won't now

We have to do that everyday, with most every person who posts with a problem. It isn't easy... most people use winXP, and it's a huge set of variables when you consider all the programs that can be put ontop of it. IMHO. I have lists containing hundreds of files that work OK with the OS. As many that don't, too. Just as many that might, depending on what they are in combination with. My lists are a small fraction of what is available and in use. Dozens are added daily. Thats is the reality I perceive. :flowers:

I believe I should get a knowlegeable techie to do it for me

Probably not. You'll learn what you need to know here. Just order the CD free from Microsoft. You'll get it mailed to you before Christmas. Copy to CD your files to be on the safe side. Turn off all your programs, stay offline while you put the CD in and let about an hour go by. When it's done, read the helps, make a few decisions. Start your programs up one at a time to make sure they work. You'll have a new restore point set when you install SP2. If a program doesn't work like it used to exit it, uninstall it and re-install it. (which is doubtful in your case, considering you don't download a lot online to experiment with, unlike those who do on a regular basis). Before you do it pay attention to the details of the programs you use, so you can more easily determine exactly how they work for comparison's sake should you need to. Find out about your options from the people who made the programs you use by googling them ahead of time. No techie can do any better. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 29 November 2004 - 05:04 AM.

#8 athlon64fx

athlon64fx

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:39 AM

man SP2 is scary though for non amd 64 users. they get the NX extensions.thats the part I liek about it

#9 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:20 AM

Thanx phawgg for your most inciteful comments :thumbsup: , as a novice your knowledge base is overwhelming and i will have to sit and re read again your very orderly analysis. I spotted right away the point at which my updates stopped and will look deeper in my history section of windows updates.
I am presently contemplating changing my firewall to zone alarm, do you have any comments on this program. as i am on dial up my techie said that the windows home edition firewall that came with my toshiba notebook is adequate it will be 2 years in february 2005 that i purchased it.
of course i will be disenabling it before i install a new one. I would appreciate comments. Again many thankyous.

#10 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

:inlove: Well I spent the whole day talking to 2 toshiba warranty depot techs, toshiba itself and M$.
There is a problem with notebooks in excess of 6 months old in that their BIOS has a configuration problem and is not compatible with sp2 and thus will either not reboot or freezes and some models if they manage to get past that stage will not do such simple things as delete files.
Toshiba itself says it is a software problem, which i realize it is and to contact M$ which i did. they said they will note it and the agent said the most inquiries he had was on Dell and generic computer brand incompatabilities :flowers: and that toshiba was a new one for him.
he said that they are researching programs and manufacturer problems and hope to get resolution soon and not to do any installing until i get an e-mail from them as i was given a case number. :thumbsup: <-<- this is how i feel after all of that. so i guess i will do as everyone has suggested and sit tight as my computer is running fine with sp1. Both toshiba depots said that they had back rooms full of notebooks with an sp2 uninstall issue. :trumpet: Am glad that i looked before i jumped. Comments anyone!!??

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:36 PM

...contemplating changing my firewall to zone alarm, do you have any comments on this program.

I've tried three, each for a month or so. ZA gave me problems, Kerio uses quite a lot of resources & I have a couple minor issues with it, so that makes Sygate my choice. All are well thought of. I also had Outpost at one time, and another I've forgotten at the moment... be sure and read the manuals that are separate downloads. Don't be too concerned if ya' don't understand it all. I don't either. In time I guess it'll all fall into place. I use dialup, too.

Same with the SP2 updating. In time it'll be workin' for those it doesn't presently. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 29 November 2004 - 07:37 PM.

#12 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:24 PM

:thumbsup: Received a call from toshiba regarding the install of sp2 inquiring if i did it or not, and of course i advised of what i had found out from their main depot.
Told them the fact is that the depot advised not to do it, as the toshiba notebooks at least some models including mine are having extreme problems with sp2.Thus I will wait.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:07 PM

That's not a bad idea, georgia. Several folks are keeping updated at windows by choosing the custom install feature and picking/choosing what goes on & what stays off.
I think you can keep up the IE updates & those Office Family product ones separately from the SP2. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users