Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

outlook.com , others using my account to send spam / malware etc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 firsttaff

firsttaff

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:57 AM

hello 
firstly i am unsure if this is the correct place to post as it may come under viruses ??  but my @hotmail.com address  / outlook.com account is being used to send spam etc to my contacts list , i have changed my password  several times but to no avail , still happening , !!!

is there some one able to advise please , running xp , google chrome 

thank you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

It may not actually be coming from your account. Spammers can and do spoof email addresses that are known to be good. Best way to determine that is to have the persons receiving the email check the message headers, or run a message trace to determine which IP address the email is coming from. If it's not coming from Microsoft, then someone is simply spoofing your email address.

How the person receiving the emails can check the message header depends on what email client or service they are using.

To do a message trace: http://www.wikihow.com/Trace-an-Email

If you suspect your account is compromised, try making sure your version of Chrome is up to date, and disable all add-ons and plugins except for those you absolutely need. Check the Sent folder in your email account and see if any of the emails are appearing there. If they are, then your account has been hacked. Get in touch with Hotmail/Outlook.com about remedying that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users