Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about changing macs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prairiedances

prairiedances

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

This is probably a silly question but I wanted to ask about switching between Macs. I know with the iPhone you can save your data (photos, music, home screen etc) to the iCloud and then just download everything again whenever you switch to a new phone. Does the same thing work for macs? I have a MacBook and will hopefully be upgrading to a MacBookPro or Air soon and was wondering if there was an easier way to transfer my documents, photos etc. than putting them on a flash or external hard drive. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

This is probably a silly question but I wanted to ask about switching between Macs. I know with the iPhone you can save your data (photos, music, home screen etc) to the iCloud and then just download everything again whenever you switch to a new phone. Does the same thing work for macs? I have a MacBook and will hopefully be upgrading to a MacBookPro or Air soon and was wondering if there was an easier way to transfer my documents, photos etc. than putting them on a flash or external hard drive. Thanks!

You can use Migration Assistant.  This can be done either over a network from the original machine to the new machine, from a Time Machine backup, from a clone backup of the original Mac to an external drive (this is the method I use as I regularly make a clone backup of my Macs anyway), or use one of the Target Disk modes to attach the old Mac to the new Mac as an external drive (assuming both Macs can use deal with the Target Disk mode that the old Mac will use...see more below).

Migration Assistant can transfer your settings, your documents (Word files, music files, movies, pictures, etc), and installed applications (assuming they are compatible with the Mac OS on the new Mac)...in other words, essentially your computer setup on the old Mac (there will be somethings that it cannot transfer over like passwords for some things).

Here is Apple's information about Migration Assistant:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5872

If you want to use Target Disk mode approach, then older Macs will use Firewire Target Disk mode while newer Macs will use Thunderbolt target disk mode.  So, depending on whether the old Mac has just a Firewire port or a Thunderbolt port, you will need to adjust the specific details.  If the old Mac has a Thunderbolt port, then you just need a Thunderbolt cable.  If the older Mac has a Firewire port, then you will need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter plus a Firewire cable.  If your old Mac does not have a Firewire or Thunderbolt (if I recall correctly, some MacBooks did not come with Firewire ports), then Target Disk mode will not be an option.

Here is more information on how to do Target Disk mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph10725

Let me know if you have any specific questions.  I have done this a number of times.

#3 prairiedances

prairiedances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thank you! I may have some more questions for you when I get the new computer, if that's okay. Thanks again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users