Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to wipe hard drive and install windows 8

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 anamte3

anamte3

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

I have an asus laptop. This is my only way of doing my school work. I was a windows 8 laptop origionally but it automatically updated to windows 8.1 and i installed windows 7 on it myself. recently I have expreienced a problem with it to where it would not boot up at all. I continued with an endless loop and would not boot up to anything. My warrenty ran out last month so I can send it in for repairs unless I pay $80. I have a windows 8 product key and before I make a bootable usb flash drive I want to completely wipe my hard drive. Can someone please tell me how I can completely wipe my hard drive befor installing a new operating system. I want to make sure I do everything correctly before I start. I do not have a cd burner and my home desktop is an xp so it is limited to what it can even do at all. I just need a way to make a usb flash drive that can completely wipe my system so I can clean install windows 8. 

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2014 - 03:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

You said it was originally installed with Windows 8. The recovery partition should still be there with Windows 8 unless you

intentionally deleted it or replaced the hdd.

Is it still there or not?

If it is you can perform a clean install of Windows 8 without downloading anything.

Windows 8-How to restore the system to factory default settings if I can't enter the system?

Edited by buddy215, 10 December 2014 - 08:40 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

When it updated to widows 8.1 it won't do the reset anymore! Now it ask for recover media!!!!

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

During the startup processes, from booting from USB media, you are given the option to wipe the entire drive prior to the installation of the new Windows.

Spoiler

Clicked "Advanced Options", and then "Format". It will be wiped before the installation automatically. Not sure about the partitions created by Asus, but you may want to leave those since they contain drivers, not quite sure here.

Edited by Ezzah, 10 December 2014 - 08:46 PM.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

I want to do a complete wipe 1st because when I installed the windows 7 it was supposed to wipe it 1st and it didn't that's how it messed up and went to the endless loop I think cause it still has the windows 8 recovery partition even though it won't work 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

What did you use to install Windows 7 if you do not have a cd burner? If you have a Windows 7 install iso or disk, is it okay for you to install Windows 7 instead of 8.

#7 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

It's been a while since I did the windows 7 install! I did. It from a bootable flash drive!!! Which I no longer have 

#8 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

I am thinking about getting the backup disk! If I do the window 8 install from the disk will I sti need to wipe the hard drive! I've attached a photo of the information about the backup disk

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

I am not sure about doing professional unless you had professional when you bought the computer. Is the current OS on the computer Windows 7 and can you boot to safe mode by tapping F8?

#10 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

I do tried that! I've talked to microsoft and the manufacture of my laptop! It will not boot to safe mode! I can open bios but that's it! I am putting the windows 8 professional on my laptop! I just need to know if I use the back up disk if I will have. Ito ape my hard drive or if I can clean install! This is only computer I have for school and it is a lot cheaper to try the windows 8 professional first before buy using a new laptop or spend about 80 to send it back to asus! I have to do something quick before I get behind on school work and with Christmas comming up I have very few options 

#11 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Sorry for all the typos! I'm using my iPod and I'm not used to the small screen!!! 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

There is a way to download the Windows 8 media and use the key that the laptop uses but the problem is the computer does not boot. The Windows 8 key is now located in BIOS. There is a way to do find the key using a Live Linux CD. Once you get the key in BIOS, you can download a installer to create an iso file and install it using a Flash drive as you do not have a cd burner.

Are you interested in doing this. I have not done this before but I think it will work. You would be downloading version 8.1. Hopefully the version 8 key in BIOS will work.

According to the page here it will work.

And if you are completely reinstalling a Windows 8.0 PC you can use this 8.1 installation media with the same key from Windows 8.0, so there’s no reason not to do so. It even comes with Update 1 integrated.

Here is the media creation page from Microsoft. Edit: You will need to download this on your XP computer.

Do you want to try this method using linux to find the key. The Windows installation file is over 3GB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 December 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#13 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

There is no way to get my origional product key! I have asked ASUS in the past! I can access my bios I know that but it has windows 7 installed on it so I don't the recovery media for windows 8.1would work! I also don't like windows 8.1 I don't particularly like windows 8 but right now all I need is to clean install windows 8 professional. I have already bought the backup disk and I have the product key! I know you don't advise me to use windows 8 professional but it has window 7 professional and it worked fine for months! I'm the one that accidently messed it up and caused it to not boot up! All I need to know is if the backup disk will wipe my hard drive or if I need to purchase or download something that will wipe it for me!!!! I Just need my computer to work so I can do my school work! I can't do it on my iPod! I can barley type on this thing! 

#14 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

also I not only don't have a DVD burner but my laptop is basically the only computer in the house! So with it not booting up I have very limited options! My step daughter has a laptop but she is homeschooled so I am not using hers unless I have too cause it is already having problems and we have to have here for her work! 

#15 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:48 PM

The XP we have is also having problems. My fiancé spilled tea on the keyboard and some got in the hard drive and it hasn't worked right since! So pretty much everything is my house is messing up right before Christmas and I am too stressed out to think about it any more tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users