Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

I have a Dell D630 and a Lenovo T500 laptops and they each have 9 cell batteries 1 new and 1 a year old. The thing is I am plugged into AC 98% of the time so I feel that keeping the batteries in the laptop makes about zero sense.

So I'm thinking of just removing the batteries and just put them in once every month or 2 to charge-up and then pull them and let them dis-charge. I don't think this would cause any problem, but not sure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

Some laptops will lose performance without the battery installed. My mac specifically warns about this if the battery is removed (while it is running) and then is on the AC unit alone. You can remove the battery if you wish, it won't likely add any longevity to the batteries life span. Certainly charge cycles can lower battery life span, so if you are constantly draining it and recharging it, the life span could be shorter, however in your case I would probably just leave the battery installed. Leaving a dead or near dead LION battery unplugged for too long can cause it to lock or go into protect mode due to low voltage, I had this happen on a mac battery that I left out for about 8 months, in my case the battery was actually fully charged when I took it out, I am not sure how it managed to drain over 8 months to a critically low level. I had to get a new battery after that, I just leave my new battery installed now and after 2 years it still works about as good as it did new. I expect to get about another year out of it maybe 2 if I am lucky.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users