Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Botched KB 3004394 triggers error messages, but no response from Microsoft
Windows update KB3004394 (root certificate update), issues
Windows 7: Windows Diagnostic Tool Error 0x800706F7

MS Patches Dec 09

Anyone seeing problems developing with these on Windows 7? I've been testing them on multiple freshly loaded Windows 7 boxes and it appears they all lose signatures and start throwing a USB driver error as well. MMC, Computer Management, Windows Activation for instance all throw a UAC and show publisher as unknown. ...

* December 2014 update for Windows Root Certificate Program in Windows

This article describes an update for Windows Root Certificate Program in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Applies to

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation
Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8.1
Windows RT 8.1
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter
Windows Server 2012 Standard
Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Windows Server 2012 Foundation
Windows 8 Enterprise
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8
Windows RT
Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, when used with:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems
Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation

Windows 7 Service Pack 1, when used with:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Starter

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hello quietman7

I followed your Patches links, but so far I have not had any Windows 7 problems. Is your advice to delete Windows update KB3004394 and just leave it out now ??

Note: The only thing was that a Genuine Adobe Update arrived at about the same time, which often scares a few people.

Thank You -

Edited to confirm Note was good.

Edited by noknojon, 10 December 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

For now, I just unchecked that update while I download/install the others...(17 critical, 6 optional) and wait to see if Microsoft addresses this issue.

I did read in that a user in the first link (at the bottom) offered a solution to manually download KB 3002339 directly from the Microsoft Download Center and install it separately.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for that info

My Acer laptop which has Win7 32-bit included that update last night and I haven't had any problems today

I did the updates myself: normally I install WU's in blocks depending on what the "categories" are; so far so good

--- I did not know about the issues mentioned in this thread last night

I noticed in the above links that many x64's are mentioned, some posts don't report whether or not they have 32-bit or x64's

However, Is it possible the issues apply to x64's but not 32bit?

I also have 2 Win7 desktops, each one 32-bit. It will be interesting to see how they turn out

--- I'm going to create a system restore point before touching them; I want to include that update to see what happens 

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

Another thread @SevenForums: http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/354850-sfc-found-corrupt-files-after-windows-update-never-had-any-before.html

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'm on windows 8, that was one of the ones i didn't install when i updated today. Looking at ms's website this update was something for a "root certification program", it seems this update alters the way certificates (i'm guessing it's referring to hashes and such seen on exe files which confirm they were actually published by the publisher thye claim to have) are processed and lets windows send out faster changes to certification so changes to the validity of certain certificates can be made in less than 24hrs. In some ways the concept of this update sounds quite important but i'm GUESSING(if i'm wrong please explain why) if you leave UAC enabled AND only run programs you know you can trust AND don't download new programs very often then you should be quite alright without it.

To ask as a general principle, these "updates for windowsZ Y-based systems", are they important for security or are they the sort of thing that should only matter to users who have experienced one of the problems that an "Update for Windows Z Y-Based Systems" lists on it's kb page as being a way of fixing?

P.S. "Note: The only thing was that a Genuine Adobe Update arrived at about the same time, which often scares a few people." what is going on with this then, i haven't noticed one. Is this an adobe flash update for flash plugins in firefox and chrome, or is this the pair of updates for internet explorer flash player which were amongst the 23 i woke up to find this morning, or is this some update for flash player that i am not yet aware of? Do i need to update flash today or something, i think have adobe flash (for firefox) set to update automatically but it can often be behind.

Also"that update last night and I haven't had any problems today", the way with problems in updates is not everyone gets them from an update, a certain percentage of users get issues with particular updates, sometimes seemingly at random, other times it is all those with particular brands of hardware, or particular antiviruses, or people who run certain programs, or have certain other updates already installed or not yet installed. It's never everyone who suffers an issue, updates won't be released until ms has checked they work ok on a few test machines, but they can't test for every configuration of machine that a user may have (there are as many different setups as there are computer users on earth) so bugs can happen for a subset (large or small) of users whilst others are unaffected. In the past i have both installed updates others had problems with and been unharmed, and also installed updates that no-one else had problems from yet suffered problems myself.

Edited by rp88, 10 December 2014 - 04:27 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

On my test VM this KB prevented 2 non-integratable updates (KB2533552 & KB971033) from installing via setupcomplete.cmd... others have reported same type problem: after installing KB3004394 unable to install ANY updates. :unsure:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

VirtualBox Ticket #13677: 4.3.20 crash after today's Windows update (last comment by bird when I checked)

From what I can tell, the KB3004394 update does not install a catalog file on 64-bit windows 7. It does on Windows 8.1 (C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Package_1_for_KB3004394~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.0.cat), so VBox works fine there.

The result of the missing .cat file is that VBox (nor SysInternal's SigCheck.exe for that matter) is not able to verify the authenticity of c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll and wintrust.dll. If we cannot find any valid signature for the files, we have to assume that they have been tampered with and are forced to abort application loading. These two dlls are important for validating other components, so there is absolutely no way we can ignore this.

Until Microsoft fixes the KB3004394 update on Windows 7, the only solution is to revert/uninstall it.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

Twitter Results for KB3004394

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

From what I can tell, the KB3004394 update does not install a catalog file on 64-bit windows 7...

A catalog file might be kinda important, ya think? :scratchhead:  Someone's head is gonna :axe: over this blunder.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

Isn't this the third month in a row for a doggy update or two? No heads have rolled yet.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:55 PM

Starting to see some reports that the Dec 2014 KB2553154 Update for Microsoft Office 2013/2010 is causing issues with macros and ActiveX Controls in Excel/Access.

#13 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

Yes. I have three machines that are acting crazy. Desktop ICONS dissapearing, Notice of failed update download but if I check for updates now it tells me there are none. Some of my forum pages stopped working with Firefox and I had to run IE11 for a few days until yesterdays updates. I finding the same update installed multiple times on this machine. My desktop has a new hard drive just last week when I decided that was the problem there. I am on the road now but yesterday before I left hgome the new hardrive desktop machine that I just reinstalled Windows 7 pro on said it had never been updated. It ran a lot (180+) updates two days before whenI did the reinstall. I am having problems with reinstalling my copy of Office 2003 and getting the updates for it. It now keeps peompting me to "register" my copy but can't. I clicked on register by phone and was notified that phone support was no longer available.

Oh yea, i bought a full copy of Malwarebytes and installed it on all three machines. It did find a few things but not anything that the free copy didn't find before.

Yes I am having problems with Win7.

Steve

UFO pilot

#14 MBGeek

MBGeek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:07 PM

This "patch" will also cause your Windows 7 to fail it's WAT validation check and will make it start giving the "This copy of Windows isn't genuine" message ... so be prepared for those errors on clients desktops...I have verified that uninstalling the patch does fix this error as well.

For ease, just run this from a command prompt

wusa /uninstall /kb:3004394

Don

#15 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:58 PM

I've had this patch installed for a short time and I've yet to see any problems.

Should I uninstall the update for the time being?

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users