Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Flicker Issues - Samsung Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NACTech

NACTech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hey Guys, 

So, I'm currently repairing a Samsung laptop for a customer and I'm having some issues diagnosing the problem. So, at first I believed the DC jack was broken because it is a little damaged. but then I decided to try using a universal charger and got the computer to start up. Although, the computer powers on, it allows me into the bios but doesn't let me do anything else. After it displays the Samsung splash the screen just continually blinks on and off.  I don't think its just a windows boot issue because it doesn't allow me to boot into any other diagnostic programs. 

So, I'm not sure if I'm just looking at the DC jack problem or a motherboard issue too. Has anybody seen this before? Any Suggestions. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

Possibly a bad lcd ribbon cable, a bad lcd panel, or backlight problem (part of the lcd panel). Does physically manipulating the screen (opening/closing) cause any thing to happen?

Try an external monitor and see if anything else changes.

What diagnostic utilities are you trying to load? Memtest86+ would be the first one I would try.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 NACTech

NACTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

I don't think its an LCD problem. I moved it around and it doesn't flicker or anything. its like the backlight turns on and off. I've tried booting into HBCD, MRI and a Windows disc. But like I said, it will post, then go to this blinking lcd screen. I'm having the feeling that this is going to be a bad motherboard. 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

Try it with an external monitor. Does this computer have an LED or CCFL back lit LCD panel? CCFL panels can flicker if there is an issue with the inverter or a shorting wire. Generally you could still see an image on the screen with a flash light but the back light itself will go off.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 NACTech

NACTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, I tried an external monitor and it didn't post. It's an LED screen. But I'm still just getting the Samsung splash screen and able to get into the bios.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

I would try removing the hard drive and other non essential hardware and try to boot to either a bootable cd/dvd or usb diagnostic or linux version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users