Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't update to IE9-11

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

Machine is Windows 7 Ultimate with an i7

I have all recent updates downloaded, there are two that won't continue, including IE11. I've tried using the offline installers for IE 9-11.

I've tried the microsoft fixit for the updates and System file checker

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 December 2014 - 10:01 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hi

Please visit the link below
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847882/en-us#appliesto

At a minimum, install any missing Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11 including Windows 7 SP1

Then visit the link below
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Run the fixit for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

i did try to install those earlier but I assume they were in an update as they wouldn't install. I just ended up reloading the machine, since it was a fresh install before.

Not sure what really went wrong. Maybe its the hardware? Its one of those IMB thinkpads that so wonderfully comes with no useable drivers just like when xp was really cool... 13 years ago.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi

When you visit the Windows Update site, check that you receive updates for Windows and other products from Microsoft Update.

This is not by default and must be changed to reflect the above. If drivers are necessary, they will be included in the downloads for your older system.

By the way, What model IBM Think Pad do you have?

Make sure that SP1 is installed, either as part of the Windows Installation or an update. Use the link below for the standalone installer.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Hope this helps!

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

There was just something corrupted somewhere, it has ie11 on now. The disc has sp1 installed already.

I just find it really odd how usually ie updates with the updates and for some reason, it never shown up. Its a legitimate key from lenovo, so the non genuine issue wasn't there. Oh well.... yay windows.

The thinkpad is a w510, its not mine, its a customers, but i'd rather them get their computer back knowing everything installed properly and is running smooth rather than trying all these little fixes and only to have them call later on down the road with a bunch of other issues that spawned from things I wasn't able to see.

Thanks though, im sure others will value the prerequisite links.

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

Since Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Updates and IE Updates are listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users