Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Case... Now Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmochnick

jmochnick

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Cooler Master HAF 912 Series case. I bought this because my old case did not have a space for a 2.5" SSD. I took apart my old build (without taking pictures, of course...) and immediately began getting it set up in my new case. The first few times I was unable to get any hint of power when I pressed the power button, but after I unhooked the front panel LED's/switches, I was able to get some power. However, it only powers up for a split second (really not even 1 second) and then immediately shuts off. My motherboard is an MSI 970a-G46. It has a 4-phase power sequence(?) for the CPU (I know this by the blue LEDs on the board), and when I press the power button, all four of the LEDs light up before the computer shuts down.

I've tried the following troubleshooting methods:

Reseat RAM

Reseat 24-pin and 8-pin power cables that go to motherboard

Removed dedicated graphics card

Removed connections to HDD, SDD, and CD/DVD

Tried front panel connections both ways (can't really tell which is positive or negative)

Tried different power source (plugged tower in to another wall socket)

I'm really at a loss here. I know when I first built my computer about two years ago I had this same issue, but I think it ended up being the CD drive. I didn't take pictures last night of my connections, but I can definitely do so later today when I get home from work. I figured I would throw this out there for now to see if anybody had any ideas. 

If anybody needs any more detail, please let me know.

Thank you so much in advance!

Motherboard: MSI 970a-G46 Manual
PSU: Cooler Master RS-600-PCAR-E3 Manual
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Series Manual

EDIT: Updated with links to manuals & components in question

Edited by jmochnick, 10 December 2014 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

Have you tried making sure that the motherboard isn't in contact with the case wall? This would cause shorting, and prevent a proper start up. The worst case scenario is that you damaged something during the transition.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

I've run into the same scenario before, and in one case, it was exactly what Ezzah suggested. I've seen a standoff on the underside cause a short.. another time was an issue with the CPU 4 pin power connector not getting adequate power. I've seen a proprietary named PC (Dell, HP etc) that would immediately shut down, because the system fan wasn't plugged in, so verify you have plugged your CPU and System fans in.

If something isn't seated correctly (except power of course) you should get a beep, or some sort of signal from the BIOS.

It sounds like you have a good idea of how to handle things, so answer the following questions please:

1. Do the fans spin at all after it seems to power down?

2. Have you inspected the MB for leaking or damaged capacitors?

3. Do you have access to another computer to test your power supply or another power supply to test your computer? (could be a bad PS). Keep in mind, if you are going to try a 2nd PS with your computer, the pinouts must be the same.

4. How comfortable are you with attempting something that could permanently damage your motherboard (a simple test involving power)?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

New builds will drive you nuts.  Start with just the bare essentials, MOBO, keyboard and attach display to onboard video.  If the MOBO provides it,   One memory stick to start and a speaker (if the MOBO has that connection.  If the plugin card is needed for video, use a lower end , known good card if possible.  If that fails, dig everything out of the case and assemble on bench.  Shorts from stand offs can kill a number of things depending on where it's  located.  Most MOBOs come with a construction sheet detailing the proper location for hold down points.  I like to use nylon stand offs and screws to hold things in place.  Once you get things added one by one, you'll find the one that kills the PS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users