Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Semaphore Timeout has Expired

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

Good Morning All,

I am having issues installing Windows updates, they have been failing upon install for the past 3-4 months.  I get the error code 80070079, "The Semaphore timeout has expired".  So I tried backing up my data to just wipe it and reload the OS, the backup fails as well, same error message.  Then I tried moving files manually to an external drive and that as well timeouts on the larger files.  I have searched the Internet and it many people seem to have this issue and it relates to the network adapter, but I am not trying to do anything over the network (Updates are already downloaded just waiting to install), so I feel it is something else.  Does anyone know of a fix or possible solution?  I searched semaphore through the registry and there are a lot of entries, but not sure if i need to change any of them or not?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Machine is a Dell Optiplex 780, Windows 7 32-Bit, 4GB Ram, 800GB HDD, Broadcomm Network Adapter.

Thanks,

Brent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

I would boot to a linux cd or usb stick, and copy your files that way.

Check the health of the hard drive maybe, with hdtune or gsmartcontrol

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

A common cause of this issue is high fragmentation and low disk space.

To defragment your hard disk

1. Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.

2. Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.

3. To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

4. Click Defragment disk. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.

Less than %10 free space on your operating drive (C:\) can be a major issue, I always keep my systems at least %20... You will be able to free up a pile of space by running CCleaner, but I advise you strongly against using the incorporated registry cleaner.

TsVk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users