Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Port not detecting the Ethernet cord.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ek5587

ek5587

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:44 AM

I can't connect to the internet and I have no idea what is causing the problem...
I haven't used my PC in about a week(Holiday), Internet was working before with a slight problem.
I've tested the ethernet cable on 2 other devices and both got connections. When the Ethernet is connected to my PC literally nothing happens...

Problem I had before my going on holiday: Internet would cut off once or twice every hour and wouldnt reconnect automatically but I found a quick fix which was going in the connections and diagnosing which "reset the adapter" and internet would work again until it disconnected again. < When this happens no other devices in my house got disconnected (Mobile,Ipad,Laptops using wifi)

Specs + other info
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Intel i5-4670k
8GB RAM
ASUS MAXIMUS IV HERO

Bitdefender Total security 2015
Cable connection

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi,
Have you tried disabling Bitdefender firewall and check?
Go to device manager in Windows 7 and check if there is any yellow marker on any network adapters.
Also, right click on the ethernet adapter and uninstall driver. Now restart the machine and check if the driver is installed automatically.
Visit the adapter vendor's website and download the latest drivers and then, use control panel to uninstall current driver, then install the newly downloaded one.
What does ' ipconfig /all ' command provide when you are connected to the network?
Does connecting the ethernet cable to the adapter show any change in the network icon on tray notification area? Does it have any red or yellow marks on it?

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 10 December 2014 - 08:05 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

Disabled Bitdefender firewall - Nothing changed
Checked device mananger - No yellow marker on network adapter
unistalled the driver -  installed automatically
uninstalled the driver then reinstalled the driver - nothing changed
Connecting the cable doesn't show any changes at all - Red X over the computer

Edited by ek5587, 10 December 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi,
Thanks for reply..
Check if the jack / head (of cable) fits right into the port.
Use a lamb or mild source of light to inspect if any leads are bend or broken inside the port.(there must be 8 copper wire leads inside the port.
Would you be interested to load a live linux distro like Ubuntu using a live disc / flash drive and test ?
Since you have tested the ethernet cable and other devices like a router / modem and observed as working, either its a driver issue, faulty windows config or failing network adapter. Do you trust your devices (incl. modem, router etc) except this pc as working over network?
Try pinging from your PC to router/modem using the command ' ping ipaddress/url '.
Replace ipaddress/url with the modem/router's IP address (usually 192.168.xxx.xxx). What do you observe? Does the connection status change to 'limited' when you connect the ethernet cable? What about uninstalling driver via controlpanel of windows and reinstall a fresh copy from vendor?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

how can I check if its a "failing network adapter"?

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hi ek5587,
Check using this tool : NetAdapter Repair All In One 1.2 from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/
What do you observe?
Please post back as requested.
[edit] Did you try native network troubleshooter of MS windows again? ( http://www.guidingtech.com/7532/repair-network-windows-7-diagnostic/ )

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 10 December 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#7 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

netadapter has blank spaces for default gateway and dhcp server

Tried native network troubleshooter, it says a network cable is not plugged in or may be broken...

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

If it was a physical problem with the port or cable I don't think you would be able to use diagnose to make it work again, so I guess it is not the port or wire.

I would reset the router, and then go all through it making sure to give it good settings. And then on the PC, I would give the pc a static IP (make sure it is not within the router's dhcp range)

Then if it still happened, I would probably turn off DHCP on the router and then set static IP's on all the devices and see if it still did it (possibly not an option for you because it does make using portable devices a huge pain (to not have dhcp enabled).

Then I would think about replacing the router.

#9 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi,
Thanks for reply..
Use a lamb or mild source of light to inspect if any leads are bend or broken inside the port.(there must be 8 copper wire leads inside the RJ45 port).
Would you be interested to load a live linux distro like Ubuntu using a live disc / flash drive and test ?
Since you have tested the ethernet cable and other devices like a router / modem and observed as working, either its a driver issue, faulty windows config or failing network adapter. Do you trust your devices (incl. Ethernet Cable, modem, router etc) except this pc as working over network?
Try pinging from your PC to router/modem using the command ' ping ipaddress/url '.
Replace ipaddress/url with the modem/router's IP address (usually 192.168.xxx.xxx). What do you observe? Does the connection status change to 'limited' when you connect the ethernet cable? What about uninstalling driver via controlpanel of windows and reinstall a fresh copy from vendor?

Hi ek5587,
Did you physically inspect the inside of ethernet port to see if there are 8 copper leads parallel (i mean, not bend, twisted or broken)?
Do you hear a 'click' sound when you insert the ethernet cable to the RJ45 port?
Are you pretty sure there is no problem with cables and router / modem?
(you havent stated if a driver reinstall helped or like to test on a linux platform or any of quoted.)

#10 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

Hi,
Thanks for reply..
Use a lamb or mild source of light to inspect if any leads are bend or broken inside the port.(there must be 8 copper wire leads inside the RJ45 port).
Since you have tested the ethernet cable and other devices like a router / modem and observed as working, either its a driver issue, faulty windows config or failing network adapter. Do you trust your devices (incl. Ethernet Cable, modem, router etc) except this pc as working over network?

Hi ek5587,
Did you physically inspect the inside of ethernet port to see if there are 8 copper leads parallel (i mean, not bend, twisted or broken)?
Do you hear a 'click' sound when you insert the ethernet cable to the RJ45 port?
Are you pretty sure there is no problem with cables and router / modem?
(you havent stated if a driver reinstall helped or like to test on a linux platform or any of quoted.)

Check the port the leads are all fine.

If it was a physical problem with the port or cable I don't think you would be able to use diagnose to make it work again, so I guess it is not the port or wire.

I would reset the router, and then go all through it making sure to give it good settings. And then on the PC, I would give the pc a static IP (make sure it is not within the router's dhcp range)

Then if it still happened, I would probably turn off DHCP on the router and then set static IP's on all the devices and see if it still did it (possibly not an option for you because it does make using portable devices a huge pain (to not have dhcp enabled).

Then I would think about replacing the router.

I have no idea how to do any of those things, ill look online and get back to you

#11 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:00 AM

Since nothing is working any chance my motherboard Ethernet port is broken?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

To rule out a hardware problem, I would download a linux distro like Fatdog. Burn the iso and boot the disk. It will detect your ethernet and if you cannot get on the internet I would say you have a hardware problem. In BIOS is there an option to disable onboard LAN? I would look at that.

I would download this version of Fatdog.

Fatdog64-631.iso

Puppy linux is also good.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#13 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

To rule out a hardware problem, I would download a linux distro like Fatdog. Burn the iso and boot the disk. It will detect your ethernet and if you cannot get on the internet I would say you have a hardware problem. In BIOS is there an option to disable onboard LAN? I would look at that.

Fatdog64-631.iso

Disabled Lan in BIOS and it didn't change anything.

I'm not really comfortable installing another os on my pc, Can I get the same result using a emulation program like Vmware,virtualbox etc?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

You do not want to disable LAN, you want to enable it. I should have been clearer on that. I was hoping that maybe LAN was disabled for some reason and it would a simple matter of enabling it.

You are not installing anything. Everything runs in RAM and off the CD disk. It is completely safe.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 December 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#15 ek5587

ek5587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

Fatdog64-631.iso

booted up fatdog64 internet was not working. So.... motherboard is broken?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users